Day 4: AC, Touchdown Jesus, and Deep Dish


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
June 30th 2015
Published: July 1st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 4: Latitude 41.89, Longitude 87.62, Sunshine 70 degrees.

We woke up in Cleveland (700 miles into the trip). True to our claim yesterday that Clevelanders, like their AC, sure enough, the valet brings our car around and the AC is cranked up as high as it can go and it is 62 degrees out. We roll down the windows and take off.

Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, and Illinois are now checked off as visited by the Turgeons and we also spot a handful more license plates leaving us with eight left to spot.

Quick stop for lunch on a drive by of Notre Dame--trying to plant the seeds for six years from now. Very bummed there is no Welcome to Illinois sign on route 90. However, we may have missed it as we kept looking over our shoulder to make sure we got out of Gary, IN safely, "...roll 'em up." Once in a while en route Google Maps will suggest a new route and tell you how much faster it is. Unfortunately, it is not tempered with a claim to tell you how much more dangerous it is.

After checking in we walk over to Pizzeria Due for some freshly baked deep dish. Predictably, Alec gets individual cheese, Luc orders individual pepperoni, Tracey-indiv Spinach, and I have the Numero Uno. Forty five minutes later (that is how long they take to bake) Luc and Alec are big fans. Our waiter, Riley and the manager, Todd, take us on a tour of the building, despite the place being packed, which is on the historic register. It is a post fire building with a lot of history and character.

The boys and I cut Tracey loose and head for a swim in the pool which is also historic--we really lucked out with this hotel. Tracey and I then got dressed up and headed out to the fancy RPM Italian Lounge for some drinks and people watching. Despite what she thinks, my wife continues to be the most beautiful woman in any room she sets foot in.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb