RHILA #26


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
May 20th 2013
Published: May 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

1. The article was talking about how the government really got involved after a clothing factory had collapsed in Bangladesh on April 24th due to floors being built illegaly and werent able to support the heavy equpitment needed to sew and make the clothing that the factory produced. A total of 1,800 garment workers were killed by the collaps and the fire that followed. Due to this tragedy, Bangladesh's government allowed the country's garment workers to form unions without the factory owners approval. Along with this, the minimum wage for the workers has also been increased by the country's government. Much attention has been brought to this tragedy because Bangladesh is the third biggest exporter of clothes along with China and Italy. The government did many things to ensure the workers welfare after the collaps of the buliding had taken place.

2. Human rights weren't protected because throughout the whole building there were only three emergency exits that existed. Also, the working enviroment was unsanitary and three floors of the eight story building were built illegaly and were unstable and unable to support the heavy equpitment that was used to sew and make the clothing. For the work that the garment workers were doing and the conditions that they were doing them in, they just werent getting paid enough.

3. I think that the Bangladesh government should pay close attention to big factories like this one because many things can go wrong and that could make productions slow down and possibly have workers lose their lives because of careless accidents. In my opinion, I like how the government focused mainly on the workers and tried to give them every benefit possible, but the governemnt should start with improving the work enviorment or apply force to the owners of the factories to make the working enviroment and conditions better, not only for the factory but for the workers.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb