Day 60 - Minnesota - Chicago


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
December 20th 2011
Published: December 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

At 1.30ish, our wheels rolled on again as we headed to the Windy City. There was a little bit of excitement in the air for those who had decided to stay awake at the front of the van. I intended to be one of those, but found myself soon falling asleep, only waking when we had a stop for fuel and coffee at a gas stop somewhere next to a blackened highway, with the many truckers still on the road passing by.



When we were back on the road again, and having falling into another sleep, I finally woke to find us on the outskirts of the Windy City. The night had gone and the start of a new day was greeted by strong mist surrounding the city and after a quick caffeine stop we headed into Chicago itself as Todd took us on a whirlwind tour of the city before heading to our hostel. The mist didn't last for long, and we got treated to an up close and personal sight of Wrigley Field home to my baseball team, the Cubs. As we drove passed the famous gates of the stadium and then alongside, we all managed to catch a glimpse inside at the hallowed turf, fresh in the knowledge that we would be returning to experience more of it.

When we finally reached our hostel, the rain started, as we had to park up in the allocated spaces across the road, wheeling and lugging all our luggage to the hostel itself. Once inside and after Todd checked us in, our rooms weren't ready yet, so we crammed all our luggage into the overflow room in the corner by the lobby.

We were then set loose on the city, free to do what we want. So some of us went across the road at the end of the block and got some lunch at some sort of bistro cafe, before Steve and Zach accompanied me on a walk to another landmark I wished desperately to see - Soldier Field, the home of the Bears. I didn't really know why, but my Dad, and my oldest brother Mark, had always been fans of the Bears for as long as I could remember, so I decided to follow suit years earlier, little in the knowledge that I would ever get the chance to visit their home.

Finally we reached Soldier Field, and we were greeted to what looked like half a UFO, with most of its roof missing. Walking passed the stadium sign and wall fountain, we found the shop, and I looked around trying to get a NFL jersey. After finally asking a shop assistant, I was informed that it was better to order jerseys online, and that there were no tours of the stadium today, only one the next day at 11am.

Slightly disappointed, we soon left the stadium behind and headed into Field Museum across the way, and managed to walk through the main lobby and one of the exhibits without being charged and checked on, before walking out through the back entrance and towards the main part of the city again.

Our next stop was Wilis Tower, which was awesome. An express elevator took you up to the top, for a panoramic view of the city, and even offered the chance to stand on a see through ledge that hangs above the Tower. As we posed for a photo as part of the tour, I couldn't help but feel that part of the display creaked as we stepped off!

We then headed back to the hostel and were now allowed to check in to our rooms. The 5 guys had obviously been put in one room, and when we stepped into the room, it was cool. There were 3 bunk beds in the main part of the room. By the door, there was a sink and mirror area and then a door to a toilet and shower. By each bunk bed were lockers for some stuff, which we used, but they had no keys to lock it all up.

Our window offered a view of the buildings surrounding us but also a perfect view of the 'El' track that goes overground round the entire city.

Very quickly all the beds had been claimed, with Zach, Steve and Scott taking the bottom beds, leaving Mark and I with a top bunk each. Mark took the one above Scott, and I tried the one above Steve, but after struggling to climb up and onto it, I decided that that wasn't going to happen. Instead I took the mattress from the bed and threw it on the floor in between Scott and Steve's bunks. This would do me well!

After unpacking and getting ready, we met up with the others down in the lobby, and soon headed out for "the best deep dish pizza you will ever have" according to Todd. He claimed that it would be so filling that no one would be able to eat more than 2 slices. Maybe Todd was forgetting about Washington, so I was determined to prove him wrong.

The pizza place was not far from us, so we walked instead of trying to get cabs, and eventually arrived, where there were two big tables ready for us to go straight in and eat.

My God the pizza was fantastic, so much so that I could happily have died in the place, or better yet, just be left there to see out my days eating deep dish pizzas!

I was going for my 4th slice when we all suddenly realised that we had to leave now if we were going to make our bike tour in time. So with the remainder of the pizzas boxed up we rushed out of the restaurant and towards a bike tour shop, <em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">Bobby's Bike Hire near the water.

We were a little late, but still in time to get ready for the tour. We were all assigned the right helmets and the right bike. All the guys got red bikes whilst the girls got blue bikes. What's more the bikes were retro, a throwback to the 50's or something close.

The tour started along the slightly narrow walkway next to the small canal, before it turned once or twice before going under a bridge, where the path way suddenly opened up on Navy Pier park. It was the start of the evening, yet the sun was still up, the temperature was still high, and there were hundreds of people still out and about, rollerblading, cycling, running or just chilling by the lakeside, as we headed further along the Lakefront trail, stopping again on a small beach that stuck out from the trail, offering one helluva view of the city behind us, with the <em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">John Hancock Tower at the forefront. To our left was the impressive <em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">Lake Michigan, and I suddenly realised exactly where we were. I had always been a big <em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">ER fan, set in this very city and offering wonderful locations to film on. This very spot had featured many times on the show, and every time I had wished to be there. And now I was.

This was the first of many stops filled in with a brief talk about the parts of the city that shaped Chicago's history.

Setting off again, we left <em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">Lake Michigan behind and ducked under the <em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">Lake Shore Drive and into the city and be amongst the still heavy traffic and managed to take in the <em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">Trump tower amongst some impressive parks and bridges, before heading on to Soldier Field, where that night the gate had been left open so we were able to cycle around the stadium. To mark this a race was set up from the road that ran between Soldier Field and Field Museum to the first security gate. Roughly 100 yards, it involved a slight climb, but I fancied my chances whatever.

Sadly I came second as I had some slow dumbass start in front of me, which cost me the one second I lost by! Oh well. Mark later said that it was all the steaks I'd had on the tour. I said it was actually all the pizza!

We then cycled around the outside concourse all arond the stadium and then followed the path away and over to a nearby aquarium for some photos and more talk before heading along the Lakefront trail again, past Navy Pier and then under the same bridge and back to the shop.

The talks at each stop were a little long and the jokes weren't that funny, so much so that I could see the tour guide struggle to keep everyone's attention, but apart from that the bike tour was pretty cool. What a great way to see the city in an evening.

Annabel, Scott, Kylie and I headed back to the hostel by walking, declining offers for drinks, and eventually went to bed. It had been a long and exhausting day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0827s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb