May 3--Leaving Idaho and entering Oregon on the Oregon Trail


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Idaho
May 11th 2011
Published: May 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

May 3, 2011 Three Island Crossing, Glenn’s Ferry Cloudy—rained last night 50 degrees Started day at 10:00 with mileage at 5489.

Three Island Crossing was where the emigrants crossed the Snake river by going from bank to island to island to island to bank. Every year in September the town holds a re-enactment of the event.

Took picture of Glenn’s Ferry. Several murals on various walls. Chairs made of branches and city banners make it look festive. We were startled by a few buildings that were labeled, “Academy of Equine Dentistry.” Gassed up at town of Mountain Home off interstate 84. $3.699 per gal and took 20 gals. 5521 mileage.

Drove on interstate 84 toward Boise, ID. Sagebrush land—no trees some cattle on hills. Lunch at Welcome Center as crossed into Oregon. Pretty tulips blooming and nice landscaping there. Some trail signs that explained the area. Drove on through mountain passes following a stream most of the time. Spotted two male pheasants but traveling too fast for Valerie to see them—no real place to stop.

Napped at a rest stop near Weatherby, OR. Land very dry here with very few trees except in gullies and near streams. Emigrants had a hard time in this area as little fire wood. Crossed the 45th Parallel---half way between the equator and North Pole. Wind power on most of the tall hills in the area. Dropped into a pretty valley around Baker City with snow on all mountains around us. Farmers busy spreading liquid fertilizer and irrigating. Looks like rain.

Planned to stay at Emigrant Springs State Park as the area was pretty with pines and looked like the Oregon we knew at last. However, when we pulled into the park the snow was deep on the ground and we said, “no way, Jose” and moved on down the road. And I do mean DOWN---we dropped abruptly for 4,000 feet in six miles---worse than the grade out of Nashville.

At the bottom of the steep downgrade is the Umatilla Indian reservation and of course they had a casino, the Umatilla Wildhorse Casino, motel and RV Park. So spent the night here after enjoying the prime rib buffet. Valerie played the slots and came out ahead. Very clean and neat RV park that will look a lot better when the trees mature.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb