Boise, Idaho to Idaho Falls, Idaho


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Idaho » Idaho Falls
August 5th 2022
Published: August 7th 2022
Edit Blog Post

5th August, 2022

Alarm went off at 6am for us to get an early start on a fairly big day of driving.

Sandra drove today and did very well. No major alerts and she only went on the wrong side of the road once and that was only when we were in a carpark so all was good.

We left Boise around 7:30am and filled up. Price of petrol is pretty high here but still not as high as Australia. It was quite cloudy and a bit cooler but very comfortable to travel in. About 1/2 hour down the road, we stopped to get some juice and coffee. The store we walked into was playing Midnight Oil so we had to mention we were Aussies. The girl high fived us and we had a bit of a chat as we were the only ones in there.

Headed off and the landscape was different again. We were surrounded by lots of mountains, but where the roads are it is quite flat. There wasn‘t a lot happening.

Arrived at Craters of the Moon at 10am. At the information centre, there is a big pin board of a map of the world and a map of USA. You have to put a pin in of where you are from. Amazingly, we were the first pins for Melbourne. YIPPEE! Something to brag about.

The lava is extraordinary, so many different shapes. Some of it is very sharp and jagged and other bits are large and smooth. The road is one way in a 7 mile loop and it was so interesting. It took nearly two hours for us to see and appreciate the area.

On the road again heading for Idaho Falls. The roads at most times are just too straight and it can get very boring and tiring. I would hate to be trying to drive this alone.

Arrived in Idaho Falls and found a hotel just near the Falls. The room wasn’t quite ready for us yet so we walked across the carpark to Applebees to get a late lunch, which of course, included a margarita each. We had an appetiser sharing plate which was awesome.

We had a visitor near our room

Once we had settled into the room, we walked down to the Falls which is a hydroelectric project and powers the city. Much bigger city that what we expected. After our walk, we went back to Applebees to have another margarita before we went to sleep. Didn’t need any dinner as we were still full from lunch.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb