Coeur d'Alene, Idaho


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Idaho » Coeur d'Alene
August 29th 2009
Published: October 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Friday
August 28

We left Wanatchee and continued our drive across Washington. That afternoon we stopped at the Spokane Airport to pick up Maxanne and Billy. Then we drove on to the Roosevelt Inn in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. The Inn is the site of Deb and Mikes wedding and is filling up with family members. The city of Coeur d’Alene a city of 40,000 residents sits in the center of the Idaho Panhandle and along the shore of the lake with the same name. It’s the largest city in northern Idaho. Coeur d'Alene was a French name given to the local Schee-Chu-Umsh Indians by early French-speaking trappers in the 1790s. The city’s waterfront is dominated by the Coeur d’Alene Golf and Spa Resort. This fifteen-story lakefront resort sits on piles 5’ above the lake. Lake Coeur d'Alene is a 25-mile long scenic lake, surrounded by rolling hills and is the headwater for the Spokane River. The waterfront is welcoming to visitors with a lovely park, boat tours on the lake, pleasure boat docks, a beach and three quarter mile floating walkway.
After dinner we stroll along the boardwalk and waterfront and around the Coeur d’Alene Resort then walk over to East Sherman Ave. East Sherman Ave. is the main street through town and we sit at one of the many outdoor cafes for dinner. It’s Friday night and the shops and restaurants around Sherman Ave. are alive with tourists.
Saturday August 29
Saturday morning is cloudy with a light rain but the wedding isn’t until later in the afternoon. Max, Maya and myself decide to take one of the lake cruise around the lake while Karen goes to do laundry. It’s an interesting trip and we enjoy seeing the many sights around the lake. Fort Sherman remains from the logging industry’s discontinued practice of log barges down the Spokane River. Now there are many expensive homes and resorts along the banks of the river and the famous floating golf green at the local golf course. We return to shore and enjoy lunch at a local coffee shop the Calypso Café. This pleasant café offers some great sandwiches. Max claims it’s the best sandwich she’s ever had. Now it’s time to return to the Roosevelt. We have a wedding to go to.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0692s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb