Riding Around Kona with Ricky


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii
October 13th 2015
Published: September 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 19.3433, -155.956

It's Tuesday and we're at our last stop in the Hawaiian Islands, Kona, before heading to the South Pacific. Up at 5:30am today, we are scheduled to meet Ricky again for a tour of some sites on the west coast of the Big Island, Hawaii. It's a tender ride to the port in Kona and in our last tender port, Lahaina, it took over an hour to reach shore. Once we're ready to disembark, we are given a number and are called in order to stand in another line. Holland America allows guests who have 4 star Mariner status and above to skip the number system and just board. We're only 3 star so we eat an early breakfast and grab a number before 7am. It's #1. We still sit and wait while those on Holland Tours go first. Now it's our turn and we reach shore at 7:45am with 15 minutes to spare. This will probably be the process we'll face many times since most of our ports will have no docks and utilize this tender system. It's already getting hot. 88F predicted for today.

With all but two accounted for, we head to our first stop, the Kona Coffee Plantation. They have free samples of all types of coffee grown here in Kona. The volcanic slopes of Mauna Loa in the Kona district provide an ideal microclimate for growing Kona coffee which is considered one of the premium specialty coffees of the world. Pure Kona coffee is a bit strong for me but they have many lighter mixtures and flavors to choose from for those individuals really into odd coffees. I prefer just plain. Yes, there is a gift shop here but other than a small bag of coffee, no damage is done here.

On our way to St. Benedict Catholic Church (another painted church), Mel, who is Ricky's assistant, tells us that Kona is the home of the world-famous Ironman World Championship Triathlon which is held each year in October in Kailua-Kona. Unfortunately, it occurred this past weekend so I was unable to participate. We arrive at the church, wander around for a while and listen to how Father John painted the inside of the church 200 years ago. No gift shop here, although there is a basket with money in it. I refrain from taking any.

Next is Pu'uhonua o Honaunau or "Place of Refuge", a National Park where we can all walk around the beach looking at turtles, tikis, huts and stuff depicting the Hawaiian way of life years ago. It's an area reserved for residences of royal chiefs until 1819, when Kamehameha II abandoned it. There's a $3 admission and some lady had a National Park Senior Card and got her and some friends in free. This other couple, upset that they would have to pay $3, went back and sat in the bus. Hey, what about me? I have the card, didn't bring it and now I'm paying $3! I guess I have to get used to the senior way of life. Always carry your cards!

Heading down the highway to Hookena Beach, Mel is yapping too much, misses the exit and Ricky, in the the large van behind us, is pissed. Now Mel has to turn around with all these idiots in the bus trying to direct him to, "Turn there, back up, stop, go that way". Using my best Thai, I add "Bow, bow, bow". Hey, that's what they said every time they moved the car in Thailand. Mel paid dearly for his mistake.

We take a one lane road quite some distance down to the beach. Mom goes in the water ankle deep only while I try to take pictures as best I can. Local people are snorkeling and swimming but that will come later for us.

Our last stop before returning to the ship is Douter Japanese Garden. It's up in the hills, with a view of our ship below, where they also grow coffee. The owner is a Japanese businessman who owns the largest coffee shop chain in Japan and he built a beautiful garden for people to walk through complete with pool, cabana and free coffee or ice water. Oh yes, and a gift shop. He is a business man, remember?

We head back down to town where we board the tender 1 1/2 hours early just to beat the last minute rush. These tenders double as life boats in emergencies. They're hot and uncomfortable. They hold about 100 people for tendering and if you're one of the first to board, you must sit and wait until the boat is considered full enough to warrant a run out to the ship. Not the best.

Another nice dinner and it's off to see the "Alley Cats", a doo-wop singing group that is really good. They sing with great harmony and are entertaining too. Mom buys one of their CDs for $20 and gets it signed by "Mr. Bass Man". I failed to get a picture of her with them but they will perform again so I'll get another chance.

This is the last stop for us in the Hawaiian Islands and our next stop is the primitive Fanning Island, about 1000 miles to the south and near the equator.




Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



19th October 2015

Loving the free coffee and pictures of you too! It seriously makes me so happy to see you two out enjoying life. For now, I'll live vicariously through you! I love the Tikis too Gma. Love you a whole bunch. I'm glad you guys are enjoying li
fe but seriously papa you should have figured out how to save that $3! It's going to cost ya. Must be nice.... :p
19th October 2015

We have star fruit in Thailand too. The more yellow the skin is, the sweeter the fruit will be. You slice in pieces and dip it with salt and sugar. Yumm!!
19th October 2015

I don't know how you get these shots when the ship leaves before sunset. Amazing!
5th December 2015

One must not question the power of nature.

Tot: 0.29s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0694s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb