Kym n Nik's Hawaiian Honeymoon Day 6


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Volcano
October 4th 2017
Published: October 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Day 6

We were up early (for us) to check out and get to a tour of the local brewery where we had gone out to dinner a few nights before. Seeing how they make the beer followed by a tasting of a flight of 4 of their brews, including the banana beer Kym had the other day.. breakfast beer!!

Leaving Kona behind we set on our roadtrip. It was not even 2 and a half hours to where we were staying and we made a couple of stops to check out the scenery along the way. Hawai'i has such vast changing landscapes within a 20 minute drive. We saw coastal towns, black lava rocks making up lots of the landscape to looking up at lava mountains followed by lush green fields and rainforests.

One of the places that we were recommended to stop at was the Black Sands at Punalu'u to see not just the black sand but also the Sea Turtles that come up on the beach. We were fortunate to have 3 turtles sunning themselves on the beach and I saw one (well head and flipper) in the ocean. Pretty cool.

Our "home" for the next 2 nights was a treehouse set back a bit from the road, a short walk through a private rainforest. It was romantic and I was in love with it. 15 feet up steep steps the treehouse had a lanai and large window that looked over the rainforest. A sanctuary and a perfect setting for a honeymooners. The treehouse was totally off the grid, meaning it was solely powered on solar and water we bathed in was rainwater from the forest. Our one room was simple, a bed , 2 chairs and a propane gas cylinder was our kitchen. An esky (icebox) was our fridge. There was a slate shower with a large showerhead and water felt fresh and chemical free. Candles were around the place although the minimal lights we needed meant that they were just there for a back up.

Although it felt that we were in the middle of nowhere we were only 15 minutes from a few shops (not that we went) and half hour from the town of Hilo (and a Walmart... yes we did go here just to stock up on supplies). We were going to cook but I spotted a Ross store (it has lots of bargains.. usually end of clearance stuff and often designer names) ... tried on 10 dresses bought 3 including..wait for it.. a flamingo dress ?.. and we ended up getting Jack in the Box for dinner (cause I took so long at Ross.. im a girl.. Haha) we got some free Taco's that were some promo from the Hawaiian Rainbow Game we saw (and a whole bunch of condiments!!) Back at home with a few drinks and off to see how comfy this bed is...?


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb