In Dem Ole Pineapple Fields....


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu
February 2nd 2007
Published: February 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Town That Pineapple Built.Town That Pineapple Built.Town That Pineapple Built.

Downtown Honolulu, built by Pineapple and Sugar.
About a year ago, there was an article in the papers announcing that the Pineapple Plantation in Kunia in Central Oahu, would no longer be planting after the present harvest. It seemed to have caught many off guard, especially the 70 employees of that Plantation. It surprised me also, but only for the reason to learn we still did have pineapples still being commercially grown on this island.

I have traveled many parts of the island, seeing where there were fields and fields of sugar or pineapple, now replaced by new tract subdivisions, golf courses and vegetable farms. A designer Lettuce called Nalo Greens, often graces the menus of Fine Dining Restaurants, including it in the description of their salads. Just the other day I had the occasion to travel through the back road of Kunia, Kunia Rd. a two lane highway that runs parallel through the middle of the island, in conjunction with the more widely traveled Kamehameha Hwy. or the H2 Freeway. Indeed I did see there were still Pineapples being grown.

I learned that Maui also still have Pineapples growing there. The little island of Lanai, which was almost entirely a Pineapple Plantation had ceased operations as such about ten years ago. In it’s place a 4 Seasons Hotel Resort was built, which hopefully now provide the residents there with gainful employment. Bill Gates a few years back, reserved the whole Resort for his Wedding.

I remember when I was in the Service many moons ago, the mainland soldiers would often call us “Hey, Pineapple”. Now, I often muse at what the Island G.I.s would be called now that Pineapple is no longer the symbol of Hawaii, but instead, tourism, construction, golf courses and vegetable farming. Would they instead be called, Hey Bellhop, Hey Drywall Installer or Hey Lettuce Head”?



Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Punchbowl Nat. Cemetary.Punchbowl Nat. Cemetary.
Punchbowl Nat. Cemetary.

Shot seen at beginning of Hawaii 5-0.
You've Come A Long Way, Baby.You've Come A Long Way, Baby.
You've Come A Long Way, Baby.

Pearl Harbour Navel Housing.


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb