Book 'em Doggo


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Waikiki
February 4th 2009
Published: February 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Duke Kahanamoku LagoonDuke Kahanamoku LagoonDuke Kahanamoku Lagoon

Hilton hotel in background
We left the relative peace, quiet and calm of Maui and flew off to Honolulu. A 30 minute plane ride somehow managed to take up most of the day.
Checked into our 'boutique' (read 'all we could afford'!) hotel and hit the mean streets of Waikiki. The contrast to Napili bay couldn't have been more stark. Prada, Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Bvlgari, Tiffany.......... and thousands of people walking around, most of them looking like they only had Wal-Mart pockets. The people who could afford them were safely tucked up in the Pink Palace or one of the many other high-end resort hotels.

Had a lovely walk down Waikiki beach for sunset, it was really good to do a bit of exercise, we'd been really lazy on Maui, the beach being seconds away from our condo had proved to be just too seductive.
If Maui hadn't really seemed like being in the US, Waikiki brought it home with a bang that we were. A barrage of consumerism and eating was thrust right back in our faces. Anyone would think that there was no economic recession going on....... but we were told that numbers were waaay down on what could normally have been expected. Where would they have fitted all the extra? The place was pretty crowded for me. B had a spiffing time though, she hasn't had any real shops to look round for weeks now.
There were some great people-watching opportunities though, there's nowt so queer as folk 😉. Especially when they're on vacation.
The big disappointment was not bumping into Dog the Bounty Hunter. It almost made me want to get myself in a position where I needed a bail-bond just so I could meet him. It was a busy time for him though. Sidekick Tim Chapman was in court defending himself on an indecent exposure charge. His explanation sounds fair enough though, it's a situation any one of us could find ourselves in. Go careful with that juice guys.

Maui I'll go back to anytime I can, Oahu, fun though it is, will only be a transit point.

I loved Maui we had such a lovely time there, will have to make it back. Of course I loved Waikiki - masses of different places to eat, drink & shop. Now hooked on caramel apple martinis! Would loved to have had silly amounts of money just to be silly with really. Oh there was a Hello Kitty shop with a mosaic of her outside, should have taken the shot!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



5th February 2009

Royal Hawaiian
My parents always stayed there. Saw many pictures over the years. Our great surprise a few years ago upon seeing it. Buildings had been built all around it, no more private beach feeling. Oahu is just like going to a South Seas New York. Way too busy but the other side of the island is more secluded. Lovely drive around that side. Hello Kitty Rules !!!

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb