Hickam Tour


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Waikiki
January 29th 2023
Published: January 30th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We woke up at our usual early time despite the time change today. We were excited for our first day of our touring. We had breakfast at the "club" at our hotel and had a typical breakfast of eggs, sausage, fresh fruits, pastries and yogurts. After breakfast we took a swim in the pool. It was cool and misting so we had to pools to ourselves. We went in the infinity pool first, then the main pool and then finally sat in the hot tub. The water in all of the pools was warm compared to the air temperature, but we spent the most time in the hot tub. After our breakfast and pool time we took a walk down Waikiki Beach. Lots of birds. Lots of surf shops. Light mist during the walk. Lots of people walking. A few fishermen. Kids running around on the beach. Uber Todd met us back at the hotel. We went to Hickam Air Force Base. Spent some time catching up with Uber Todd's family and then we took a trip to the Commissary to get some food for grilling. Uber Todd grilled up some chicken and pineapple. After lunch we took a bike tour of the base with Uber Todd. The bikes needed some air in the tires and seat adjustments and after several adjustments to the bikes we were on our way. The ride was cut short by rain. It started as a light mist and turned to just short of a heavy drizzle. We got back and decided to do a car tour of the rest of the base. We went into the building where Uber Todd is working. Got to see the flag that was flying over the Hickam Field during the attack on the base December 7, 1941. There was also a memorial with an eternal flame called the Courtyard of Heroes. Uber Todd also showed us the display of his coins at his work station that he has accrued from his activities. The building that he works in had been the barracks that were heavily hit during the Pearl Harbor invasion. The building has some damage that was intentionally left as a remembrance of the invasion. We then toured around with Uber Todd and he showed us around the rest of the base. Lots of fun sights on the base. Planes, boats, buildings. We had dinner with Uber Todd and family and it was fun catching up with them. Uber Todd has been Pedro's friend since grade school. It is always amazing getting back together to spend time to tell stories and chat.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



30th January 2023

Hawaii
Looks like another excellent vacation!

Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.1562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb