OUR JOURNEY TO PHOTOGRAPH TURTLES IN THEIR NATURAL HABITAT


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Laie
April 23rd 2011
Published: May 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hi there folks and welcome to our search for sea turtles ashore on a beach.............well we started out at seven this morning and headed out for the North Shore stopping in some and driving through the following towns in an effort to reach our destination......our first point of interest was at the foothills of the Ko'olau Mountains and then on too Chinaman's Hat while driving through Kahaluu...Waiahole...Waikane...and then stopping for a wee stretch where we were lucky enough to find some beautiful birds....(Hey Alvin your Fav's)we then followed the coastline passing through Sweeny Beach Park....with the Crouching Lion Restaurant right across the road....we then moved on to Punaluu where we started looking for turtles but to no avail...we then stopped at Ted's Bakery where two young people told us the pastries were calorie free ...well they lied to their fellow Canadians .....and still not having seen any turtles we soldiered on admiring the beauty of the mountains on one side and the surf on the other...!
Heading towards Laniakea Beach we did note that there were no major waves in sight ...a good indication that turtles would possibly come ashore and as we got closer we realized that there was some activity on the beach..
It was at this point we saw a large magnificent turtle moving around and heading back to sea... (Sea turtles are almost always submerged in water, and, therefore, have developed an anaerobic system of respiration. Although all sea turtles breathe air, under dire circumstances they may divert to anaerobic respiration for long periods of time. When surfacing to breathe, a sea turtle can quickly refill its lungs with a single explosive exhalation and rapid inhalation. Their large lungs have adapted to permit rapid exchange of oxygen and to avoid trapping gases during deep dives. However, sea turtles must emerge while breeding, given the extra level of activity.)
We were very very fortunate to have seen these beautiful creatures in there natural habitat..In closing I must say it was a remarkable day and seeing the turtles was the Cherry on the Sundae.
A hui hou kakou~~~~Aloha 'oe
Roger



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb