Great State of Hawaii


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Honolulu
February 14th 2015
Saved: October 29th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Yes, it is our only island state, with in fact, 132 islands. It is surrounded by water, and does not have a single straight line border. The coast line is 750 miles long. And yes, GOP and Donald Trump, President Obama is the only POTUS from outside of the continental United States.



Hawaii is our southernmost state. So much for all the typical Southern stereotypes. And the wettest place on earth is Mount Waialeale on Kauai, with 476 inches of rain each year. The highest cliffs in the world are located on Molokai.

But this is the show stopper: Hawaiian language has only 12 letters (A, E, I, O, U, H, K, L, M, N, P and W) and a symbol called 'okina (') and it indicated a glottal stop (slight pause) 'Okina is often represented by the apostrophe (') but its official symbol (') In Hawaiian language, Hawaii is written as: Hawai'i. Eevery word in Hawaiian language has to end with one of five vowels (A, E, I, O, U) The kahakō symbol is a line placed over a vowel. It directs speakers to stretch out a vowel sound.

Hawaii has its own time zone, and does not observe Daylight Saving Time. Hawaii is located 2390 miles away from the North American mainland. It is 3850 miles from Japan, and 4900 miles from China. It sure does not stop their tourists from visiting! But Hawaii is the second widest state, after Alaska. It is the longest island chain in the world. And if you dig straight down (antipodal) from Oahu or Hawaii, you will end up in Botswana and Namibia.

Do you wonder why Hawaii has no billboards? They are outlawed, as they are in other states, like Maine, Alaska, and Vermont.

No building on the island of Kauai can be taller than a palm tree. No mention of treehouses. From the sea floor, Mauna Kea measures 33,476 feet, more than twice as tall as Mount Everest.

The macadamia nut is not native to Hawaii, as it came from Australia in the 1880s. It became a crop in the 1920s. Hawaii has the highest life expectancy in the U.S. at 81.3 years. Hard to believe when they consume the most Spam per capita in the U.S. as well. Hawaii has the highest percentage of Asian Americans (38.6%!)(MISSING). Hawaii also has the highest percentage of working women in the U.S. It also has the lowest percentage of home ownership. Honolulu is the largest city in the world. It is stated in Hawaii’'s state constitution that any island (located within the region) not named as belonging to a county belongs to Honolulu. So, there is more to this place than pineapples, flower leis, and mac nuts. We love it here! In fact, numerous friends of ours have purchased second or third homes here. At on time, we thought about it, but were scared off by the limited health care resources on the outer islands. PS: I saw a Hollywood star on Friday, blonde, but could not place her name. But we did see a Don Ho Ho Ho wannabee singing at a restaurant as we drove by, hopefully unnoticed. It would definitely ruin my musical legacy.


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.736s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 36; qc: 142; dbt: 0.5788s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb