Day 8 of the Adventure


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Honolulu
April 15th 2011
Published: April 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hi there and climb aboard as we head for the North Shore in pursuit of the Big Wave ......well we headed out the hi-way in great warm weather and decided that we would make multiple stops along the way visiting and meeting some of the locals along the way.
We stopped to revisit Chinaman's Hat (. Geologically, it used to be connected to Oahu before erosion cut it off. It is also known as "Chinaman's Hat" for its likeness to the straw hats Chinese immigrants wore)and wandered around enjoying the view.we then made more stops along the way and finally decided to spend some time in and around the village of Waialuia....(Waialua is a former (sugar) mill town and residential area, quite different in its quiet ambiance from nearby Haleʻiwa, which is more commercial and tourist oriented. The Waialua Sugar Mill is the center of this town and the historical base of its plantation history. )
We stopped at a roadside stand and met a couple of local ladies who decided to educate us on the delicacies of Apple Bananas (The apple banana is a luxury, high value fruit, yet commercially it is still a "little" banana variety in the big banana market. Although short in length, it is fatter and chunkier than other small varieties and its flavor, once ripe, is both tangy and sweet displaying hints of apple and strawberry. It is important to wait until the peel of this banana is near black before eating, as you will then experience its best flavor and highest sugar content.)now they recommended we prepare them as follows ...of course you must peel them roll them in brown sugar wrap them in a won-ton wrap and deep fry them .....at which point I asked why not the dip them in Hot Fondue Chocolate .....at this point I almost became a local.
We then spent time in what appeared to be a very large shed and once inside found a multitude of things ...from clothing to coffee to household items to nick-knacks and more.
We then visited a soap factory and finally made our way to another very small village called Mokeluia (At the western end of Farrington Highway, approximately 1 mile beyond Dillingham Airfield entrance, begins the track (trail) to Kaʻena Point, the western-most tip of Oʻahu)....at this point the road ends as did our adventure and Oh~~~~ no big waves to be found
A hui hou kakou
Mahalo nui Loa
Roger


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



16th April 2011

What a simply delightful trip down the less travelled path. Thanks for this leisurely adventure which feels as if we were there included in the conversation . I even have the urge to test my blood sugars after endulging in the dessert of Apple Bananas. I can just imagine you both being inducted into the community - of course that is a universal truth . The photos are fabulous and at last both of you are smiling :) Thank you for another beautiful , relaxing and educational day which add a whole new dimension to our image of Hawaii. Maloha and aloha my friend:)

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb