The most auspicious day of the decade


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Honolulu
August 8th 2008
Published: August 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Super Chinese bubble makerSuper Chinese bubble makerSuper Chinese bubble maker

If you wish on the bubble, it floats up to someone that can make it come true.
Lion dances, street fairs, fireworks, plus 2,008 performers (per event!) in Beijing, all for Ashley's birthday!!
I tried to capture some shots of the cute little kids as lion dancers, but darn them, they just wouldn't stay still, and my camera doesn't have an action setting.
The opening ceremonies of the Beijing olympics were playing, but the stubborn rain and tar-y smoke from some Chinese cigarettes made it hard to appreciate. Lucky for me my mother taped it all so I could watch it from the comfort of my own couch. Or maybe it wasn't luck, it was just the auspiciousness of the day...


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Ashes, ashesAshes, ashes
Ashes, ashes

Basically same idea as the bubbles, but you write your wish on the paper, and they burn the paper, allowing its ashes to rise.
Year of the jerk?Year of the jerk?
Year of the jerk?

I peaked underneath one of the lion's skirts, and found all of the dancers to be quit wee. Adorable, but probably old enough to pass as 16 year-old gymnasts.
Beat of their own drumBeat of their own drum
Beat of their own drum

The lion dancers were accompanied by inexorable drummers.
Rowr!Rowr!
Rowr!

Can you see their tiny legs?
The few, the proud...The few, the proud...
The few, the proud...

...who braved the rain (and toppling projector screens) to last until 8:08 pm. It's not as auspicious in military time; 20:08...hey, that works too!


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb