Can We All Get Along?


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Honolulu
April 10th 2008
Published: April 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A couple of weekends ago, was the 14th Annual Honolulu Festival. Though it’s in it’s 14th year here, admittedly I know very little of the origin and the purpose of this Festival and only started taking interest during the last 3 years.

From what I can gather, it seems to be sponsored by a major Japanese Airline. The Convention Center is rented out for Cultural Performances by visiting Japanese Dancers and performers as well as various local ethnic groups such as Koreans, Filipino, Chinese, Okinawans, etc. As last year, an Australian Aboriginal and a Taiwanese Aboriginal Dance Troupe were brought in also.

The 2 days event climaxed with a 4 hour parade down the main drag in Waikiki, known as Kalakaua Ave. Many various dance troupes especially Hula Dancers from Japan, as well as traditional and more modern contemporary dancers participated as well as many local ethnic groups. At the end, was the carrying of the Mikoshi Shrines by local youths. In previous years, they were carried mostly by Japanese from Japan, but now they were supported mostly by local youths. The Theme seemed to reflex Rodney King’s question, “Can We All Get Along?” Sixty years ago, Japan sent bombardiers to our Islands, but today they brought hundreds of goodwill ambassadors and the friendship and goodwill was evident in the streets of Waikiki between the Japanese visitors, local population and the tourists there.

Also featured in this blog, is a past trip to the top of Diamond Head Crater. The entrance to the trail is about a 10 minute bus ride from Waikiki, or a 45 minute walk. To get to the trail one needs to enter into Diamond Head Crater via a little tunnel. Parking is $5.00 now as it has gained so much popularity as a tourist destination. Walk-ins are $1.00. The last time, about 10 years ago, when I visited it, it was free, parking and all.



Additional photos below
Photos: 132, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb