It was the worst of times, it was the best of times...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Maui
July 20th 2014
Published: July 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Waiting For the Sun That Didn't Rise...Waiting For the Sun That Didn't Rise...Waiting For the Sun That Didn't Rise...

(doesn't really look like what you think of when you think "Hawaii", does it?)
Well, 1:30am came pretty darn fast. But we were up and ready for our Haleakala volcano sunrise tour pickup at 2:45am. Things started out great as it turns out the 4 of us had the luxurious 8-passenger van and guide to ourselves. The weather was iffy as we left but we had 3 hours until sunrise. Our guide, Scotty, was very personable and knowledgeable, informing us about all things Hawaiian during the trip to the dormant volcano. We had hopes that the sunrise observation spot, at almost 10,000 feet above sea level, would be above the clouds and rainy weather we were experiencing.

Although it was warm and muggy when we left the hotel, it was in the 40s at the observation point/visitor center when we arrived around 4:30am. And cloudy. And very windy. VERY windy. And, oh yeah, with a driving, stinging rain blowing into our faces and we walked from the van to the visitor center. But it would all be worth it when we saw that glorious sunrise...

That didn't happen. The clouds never cleared, and although the rain mostly let up, we spent a somewhat miserable 90-minutes waiting and hoping, guarding our prime viewing spot
Some of What We Could SeeSome of What We Could SeeSome of What We Could See

of the Volcano Landscape.
from what would normally be 300 - 500 people all wanting to see the same thing. This morning, there were less than 50 people there.

We still enjoyed our tour and learned a lot about Hawaiian history and the language from Scotty. The tour included a nice breakfast on the drive back down the volcano, and we were back to our resort by 10:30ish. And after raining on us all morning, sometimes flash-flood type rain, the weather broke just as we arrived back and we were greeted by sunny, blue skies. We could hardly believe it could be so different in the same day.

The Weavers immediately hit the pool, and, as usual, made fast friends with the staff and other guests. Jeff found the fitness room, and Allison had some alone time. We were determined not to nap so we could get our bodies adjusted to Hawaiian time.

Dinner was at Ferraro's Restaurant at the Four Seasons Resort just a mile away. The dining area is completely outside, and we had a prime sunset-viewing table thanks to the Weaver's research and reservation. We had a wonderful meal, and a beautiful sunset. And we had a nice talk with our waitress who was from Hagerstown MD, came here for a visit 15 years ago, went back home where she and her husband sold everything they owned to be able to move to Hawaii. It was an incredibly enjoyable finish to an exciting and memorable day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Silversword Plant About to BloomSilversword Plant About to Bloom
Silversword Plant About to Bloom

Haleakala volcano is the only place IN THE WORLD that these are found.
The One Sunny Moment of Our Tour!The One Sunny Moment of Our Tour!
The One Sunny Moment of Our Tour!

Ironically, as we were leaving the volcano, the sun came out for a moment and our guide pulled over to get a picture of us with a rainbow in the sky behind us.
Craig and Patti at Ferraro'sCraig and Patti at Ferraro's
Craig and Patti at Ferraro's

(Aren't they cute!?)
Allison & Jeff at Ferraro'sAllison & Jeff at Ferraro's
Allison & Jeff at Ferraro's

Late addition to the blog - thank you Craig! Allison loves the dress and wanted a photo...


23rd July 2014

The mountain
Oh, so glad you took jackets for that sunrise trip! Well, even though you didn't see the sun rise, you saw it set!
25th July 2014

Fact:
Ma is texting me about freezing her ass off in that first picture.
25th July 2014

Also
Shoulda named this post "Sunrise? Sunset." Feel like you really missed an opportunity there.

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb