Lahaina Day 2


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Maui » Lahaina
October 19th 2014
Published: October 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

As I write this it is 4.20pm Sunday (10.30 am Monday in Perth)

Just got home from a day out and about.

Massive thunder and lightning storm last night for 3 hours and heavy rain, pretty spectacular but got in the way of much sleep. Who needs sleep...this is a holiday! Heard on the radio today that the Big Island broke the record with 4.5 INCHES yesterday until 4.30 pm, and that's not with lasts nights rain. Tropical storm Ana is on her way out. There have been glimpse's of blue sky today and visibility much better, but not sun yet, which is fine, keeps it cooler.

Leisurely wake up, breaky on the porch, fresh fruit and yogurt (the pineapple is unbelievable!!!!!!!!). Went to Mass at 11.30. I love going to church in other places. It reminds me of how different but ultimately the same we all are. Beautiful church and so welcoming. Wonderful ceiling fans all over (Australia could learn a bit from that) and windows wide open. Passed the Baptist church on my way there and the whole sides of that church open up to let the breeze though.

Mass was fairly similar except for a few kneeling and standing differences and the alter wine was sour, not like our sickly sweet fortified wine at home. Prayer and praise a little more expressive here. Choir was magnificent, wow they sure can sing here. The priest wears a fresh flower lei over his vestments which give a beautiful look. Car park opposite was free for churchgoers (not sure how they police that but I wasn't complaining).

After mass I went for a drive to the Sacred Garden of Maui which has 2 labyrinths and nursery and gift shop. It was about a 40 min drive and Gerald GPS did very well getting me there and telling me stories along the way. Beautiful peaceful place, free to get in, guy who runs it was really friendly and welcoming. A place that you could definitely call spiritual, it had all major religions east and west represented somewhere. I walked the labyrinths and felt very at peace and reconnected afterwards. Spent some time in the meditation room and just being.

on my way back from there negotiated the traffic and called into Walmart (cant come to USA and not go to Walmart) well that could take a whole day on its own. Think supervalue without the fresh food, Kmart, Target, Chemart, specsavers and the $1 dollar shop all thrown into one and 10 times bigger. It is an experience just watching everyone in there. found my way home again and now off to the Feast of Lele


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



21st October 2014

Go Rob Go!
What a trove of memories you are storing up. And how brave are you??? I would still be driving round and round the airport trying to find my way out.
21st October 2014

Go Rob Go!
What a trove of memories you are storing up. And how brave are you??? I would still be driving round and round the airport trying to find my way out.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb