Our second "free" day


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Maui » Kahului
January 23rd 2009
Published: February 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today we decided to go on a Whale - Watching Cruise with the Pacific Whale Foundation. The weather was beautiful and clear and we had been hearing all about many whale sightings from shore. We took the bus to Ma'alaea Harbor and boarded the catamaran boat for our cruise. The water was great and we could see the Maui wind farm on the hill in the distance. I saw approximately 2 spoutings and 3 curved black backs slip into the water, but no spectacular breaches or tail-up dives. Of course one would have to be watching all day or more to perhaps see those. We did see a mother and her baby whale (a calf) swimming together. The glare from the bright sunshine sometimes made it difficult to spot whales in the distance.

When we (Ray came with us) returned to shore , we had lunch at one of the restaurants and then went to the Maui Ocean Center. The Maui Ocean Center is a beautiful aquarium located at the Ma'alaea Harbor. We saw many colorful fish and had fun taking pictures of them until we were over-run by several groups of grade school childrren. The children would exclaim at first seeing the fish and then run on to the next window. Such a reminder of days gone by, watching the teacher/chaperones/parents scurry after the eager children. Being Kapunas (wise ones), we would step aside and let them go on ahead - then resume our picture taking. What Fun!

When we got back to our hotel we took a swim in the pool (refreshing) and then had a lovely buffet dinner with prime rib as one of the choices. Tomorrow we travel from Maui to Kaua'i so must pack tonight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Maui Ocean CenterMaui Ocean Center
Maui Ocean Center

John and Ray at the Maui Ocean Center
Hawai'i's Sate FishHawai'i's Sate Fish
Hawai'i's Sate Fish

The humuhumunukunuku-a-pua'a is a fast swimmer
An Orange & White oneAn Orange & White one
An Orange & White one

Is this a relative of the ever popular Clown Fish ??


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb