Destination: Paradise


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Kaanapali
June 11th 2011
Published: June 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

On our second honeymoon to the Hawaiian Islands with my husband said, "I've never seen the water so blue." as he looked across the vast Pacific Ocean on Ka'anapali Beach. We scored on airfare as Alaskan Airlines was running a sale and decided to call the Westin Ka'anapali Beach home for the next six days. Couldn't of had asked for a more beautiful hotel which had breath taking views and a pools. The best part was that Ka'anapali was just a few steps away...literally our backyard.

I had been to Maui once before so I definitely wanted to hit the hot spots such as the hike to Hana. In the morning we asked the concierge about our journey who advised that it would take approximately 4 to 5 hours (which it did!). The road to Hana has 600 hairpin turns with a lot of one way roads. So you would have to make way for other drivers coming from the other direction. BUT before you head down make sure you stop at Twin Falls for some amazing Ginger drink. It helps just in case you get dizzy spells as you drive down. We did not make it to Hana, instead we took the wrong path and ended up in the Oheo Pools which was still just as gorgeous.

The next day we set out to be adrenaline junkies taking on zip lining with Skyline Tours near the Haleakala Creator. We had never ziplined before but going 4 to 5 ziplines at 20 miles per hour with the last one at 40 miles per hour was a pretty amazing experience. It was definitely worth the couple hundred buckaroos to try. Bucket List CHECK!

Lastly, we went upshore to the Iao Valley. These majestic mountains are so alluring. I had never felt so humbled in the presence of such beauty. Bring hiking shoes or some comfy walking shoes...because you will be walking up and down the stairs until you see the rushing streams...You will a few locals come in and take a dip here. In fear of flash floods (which they do warn you about) we stayed dry.

Our last night we saved the best and gavalanted to Lahaina for the Feast of Lele. Tickets aren't cheap I will warn you but it's a five course meal from a world renoun chef and open bar...woo hoooo! Except my mai tai's were so strong I think I was definitely getting punked because my husband ordered one and it was totally toned down. Anyways, the entertainment is phenomenal! Not only do you see the gracious and ever tantalizing hula but you get a taste of all of Polynesia (Tahiti, Samoa, and New Zealand dances)...

First Timers- Definitely!
Pick a day to drive to Hana (they also have tour buses I believe)

Regrets:
Should've got up early to watch the sunrise at Haleakala...I know, too many Lava Flows though.

Culinary Adventure:
Cafe Mambo (town of Paia) oh there Shrimp was too die for.



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Hana Beaches Hana Beaches
Hana Beaches

Something different...beautiful black sand beaches
Twin FallsTwin Falls
Twin Falls

I think they we're talking to the honeymooners
Parasailing Parasailing
Parasailing

We couldn't stop laughing as we were parasailing 800 feet above the Pacific


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb