Sassafrass Gap To Dicks Creek Gap


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia
April 30th 2008
Published: May 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Cool again last night and CC is hot to get to town for her first shower since hitting the trail. We dispensed with a hot breakfast eating and had only granola bars and dried fruit. We derssed warm as the temp was still in the low 40s. Like last year I shed layers quickly and CC is more reluctant to come out of the warm stuff. The trip showed to be 6.1 miles to the road, due to trail relocation we were later to find it was 7.5 miles. We made the road by 11:30.
A fellow was letting a section hiker out and offered to call the hostel for us on his way down the hill as there was no signal in the gap. Not 15 minutes later Laura one of the owners pulls up in an SUV then wisked us down the mountain a couiple miles to the humble hostel. Hot showers, laundry, unpack the resupply boxes and socialize with a Pod member who we had met at Neels Gap. About 4:30PM we headed into town for a meal and to pick up some fresh fruit for breakfast tomorrow. Fran the other owner drove us there and back, whilr driving he talked about the trout farm they also ran. One thing led to another and next thing we know CC and I have a fishing date upon our return. Fran needed a few fish harvested for a client so he enlisted us to do the "work." CC and I used spinning rods and caught what he needed. Then he asked if I wanted to give the fly rod a try. I have not had one of those in my hand since leaving Alaska in 1984. With some coaching he had me back in reasonable shape and the fish were playing with my emotions and skill. I managed to hook one and play him for a few minutes before he threw the hook. It is hard walking this AT sometimes.
We had a wonderful stay at "Cloud 9" and will leave in the next hour or so continuing North. It will be about a week before the next update. Thanks for reading and don't forget to send us "comments."

Advertisement



1st May 2008

Hello:)
Hi guys! So glad to here your doing good out there:) Sounds like your off to a good start! We'll keep you in our prayers:)
1st May 2008

Hey Mom and Dad!
Glad to hear things are going well for you. We love and miss you! - the mooneys (north)
7th May 2008

Hi "outlaws"
Have thought of you both so often, and so enjoyed reading about your experiences. I can almost "smell" the air! :) I commend you both, for your comittment, and you perserverance. Will continue praying for your safety. Love, your southern "outlaws", Dave and Debbie

Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1156s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb