Almost home, but not quite...one more day.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Savannah
June 4th 2012
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 32.0808, -81.0907

6/4/12 – We left Michelle, Brett and Danielle in Apex, NC at 8:20 AM, 68 degrees and headed for Savannah, Ga. It was not raining when we left, but it rained most of the trip to Georgia. The storm was following us down the road.

We chose to set out on some back roads, rather than the customary I-95 route that we know so well. And it proved to be scenic and a better choice. For anyone who is familiar with I-95 and North Carolina going south, or South Carolina going north, you have seen the obnoxious "South of the Border" billboards that litter the road for miles and miles. We avoided them almost entirely, until the road we were on intersected with I-95, right at the border. And the last half mile in was a wall of billboards, all with ads for South of the Border. There ought to be a law.

We drove the rest of the way on the interstate. It is the usual view…lots of trees. At some points the north bound and south bound lanes are totally separated by dense woods and passing through these areas was like driving through a hall of trees. The branches are hanging over the road and the bushes are extended well into the road in some areas…it is time for some trimming, South Carolina. And the roadway is feeling old, narrow and in need of updating.

We arrived in Savannah around 2 PM. It was no longer raining, but the skies were still overcast. In our attempts to get down into the city, we had to be diverted from using the correct exit due to an automobile accident. We were sent down a different road, which caused a great deal of confusion, since the road we found ourselves on was not on the map provided to us by the welcome center. Eventually we got our bearings, but it took the better part of an hour, thanks to stalled trains and a lot of traffic.

We drove around the city for quite some time, taking in the sights that Peggy had told me about, (Peggy loves Savannah.) and we found our way to the riverside…cobblestoned River St. and access ways to get there. It was a bumpy ride for Beamer, and we decided to end his misery and get back up to higher ground.

The composition of the city is very interesting…there are many squares, grassy squares, all lined up in rows and columns, with roads and old, interesting looking buildings surrounding them where people live…and it seemed like a lot of these squares had churches. This is an old city and the trees are full grown and shady. It is a charming city and different than anything I have ever seen.

We arrived at our hotel at 4:30 PM and settled in for our last night on the road. My last blog entry will be upon arriving at home, when I will reflect on our travels and have some closing comments.

Advertisement



8th June 2012

You've been home for a bit now, and I am nearly done reading about your adventures. I love Savannah - I love all the little squares. It is a beatiful little city.

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb