Fort Pulaski


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Savannah
July 22nd 2015
Published: July 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Probably the mightiest fort in 19th century America was Fort Pulaski, located on Cockspur Island at the mouth of the Savannah River, where it could protect the city farther inland. . It was named after Casimir Pulaski, the great Polish cavalry officer and hero of the American Revolution who was killed in 1779 at the Siege of Savannah.

It was one of more than thirty forts built along the East Coast of the US in the years following the War of 1812, as a safeguard against future attacks by foreign powers. It was completed in 1847 after 18 years of construction at a cost of $1 million, an astronomical figure at the time. It was built on wooden pilings driven deep into the mud, and its walls were up to 11 feet (3.4 m) thick and 32 feet (9.75 m) high, built of mortar and 25 million bricks. It was considered impossible to capture because the snake-infested part of the Island surrounding it was too soft and spongy for the cannons of the day to approach within striking distance.

In January 1861, before Georgia seceded, state troops seized it to keep it out of the hands of Union forces. Foreign troops had never besieged it , so it had long been neglected and the Fort's condition had deteriorated considerably. Georgia soldiers and local slaves were pressed into service clearing the moat and mounting guns along the walls. By the time Confederate Colonel Charles H. Olmstead took command by the end of the year, its defenses had greatly improved. Things didn't always go as planned, though.

Because of its location, the strength of its walls, and its inhospitable surroundings Fort Pulaski had been considered impregnable. To everyone’s astonishment, when besieged at long range from nearby Tybee Island by means of a new type of rifled Union artillery, it was forced to surrender after only three days, amid terrible destruction but with minimal loss of life. That event changed forever the world’s view of the role of artillery, and spelled the end of brick-and-mortar forts and traditional sieges. Fort Pulaski was decommissioned in 1873 and became a National Monument in 1924. It was gradually refurbished, and opened to the public in 1964. Today it is a major tourist attraction, managed and maintained by the National Parks Service, and it's definitely not to be missed when visiting Savannah.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



22nd July 2015
The moat around the demilune preliminary defenses was said to contain gators.

Not surprised LOL
22nd July 2015
No wonder it took almost 2 decades to build !

Love it! Great pic ;o)
22nd July 2015
some of the bunks for 385 Confederate soldiiers

Another great photo Fred ;o)
22nd July 2015
a rebuilt area today

These great old brick walls remind me of Mexico ;o) Great shot!
22nd July 2015
What an enormous boom ...  no wonder gunners were proverbially “deaf as a doorknob”

Good timing, good shot!
27th July 2015

Wow!! Incredible what a million dollars could do; that amount must have been almost mythical back then!! Kind of sad that after their decades of hard work, 11 foot thick and 32 foot tall walls that it was all for naught in the end :( Very cool historical landmark today though!

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 34; dbt: 0.1091s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb