Savannah - Frope in the Garden of Good and Evil


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Savannah
January 8th 2007
Published: January 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Since Hope and I have arrived in Savannah we’ve spent most of our free time finding our way around town. We’ve been staring at maps and making wrong turns to locate close by grocery stores, the nearest Sam’s Club, and of course Hope’s hospital. Most of our quest has been for a gym and we’ve finally found one that meets our standards, although it was no easy task as the facilities were either too small or too smelly. We’ve apparently become gym snobs.

Our apartment is spacious compared to Tahoe. We actually have adequate closet and cabinet space. It’s located in “Georgetown,” which is on the south side of Savannah. Georgetown isn’t like the charming historical downtown. It’s full of suburban strip malls and apartment complexes. But it’s none the less safe and convenient to the freeways or shopping.

This past weekend was spent touring our temporary hometown of Savannah. We had no idea of the party scene or the depths of local history that define the downtown area. The main drag and also the tourist strip are along River Street, which is a cobble stoned road that stretches along the Front River. River Street is full of taverns, gift shops, and candy/fudge stores - a way dangerous combination for gluttony and good times. While walking we sampled at least four different peanut brittle/fudge combinations and several variations of fried fish. The restaurants all seem to have a fried/soul food theme and we’re excited to try a few of them. Furthermore you can take travelers of your favorite adult beverage with you for your walking pleasure. I think that is a mighty nice feature.

The Historic District’s architecture is circa the late 1700’s. The city was one of the first established on a square grid so it’s fairly easy to navigate. It is also know as "Georgia's Oldest City." Streets are lined with beautiful cathedral churches and well maintained row homes. Much of the structural design is weathered, dark brick and wrought iron fences, which reminds one of New Orleans.

Savannah’s Mardis Gras equivalent is St Patrick’s Day. The town expects upwards of half a million green beer drinking crazies for its festivities. The river is died green and there is a huge parade along River Street. We’re currently accepting reservations for our apartment’s extra space. Make sure you get your bid in now, as room is limited. (We have three confirmed separate visitors outside of St Patty’s, so if you plan on visiting, act now.)



Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb