Augusta...golf and churches...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Augusta
January 13th 2013
Published: January 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Didn't play golf...neither went to a church....but...



Does Augusta deserve a blog entry? Maybe not...but than again...once, I was a 5 hcp golf player...you know, before I thought that being a single dad and diver...was more fun... If you have no idea what it can mean to be a 5 handicap golf player...don't worry, that's way in my past for the moment, it simply means that you can play serious golf...but that you'll never be good enough to try make a proper living playing golf.



August, aka National August is basically welcoming the Masters every year. Let's put it simply, this is one of the top 4 golf tournament in the world every single year...in the same place! The British Open or US Open change golf course...and city every single year....the Masters don't!



Augusta have around 300 members...and you and I won't ever be one! They "had to" welcome their first no-white member few years ago...they still don't do much in women members...put it simply, this is Georgia...and way too much backward...and still...they play here the Masters every single year...go figure out!



But driving from Atlanta to Savannah...you have Augusta in the middle...and the local Sheraton is simply cheap. So in Augusta, we are sleeping.



Amazing as it can be...the most exclusive golf club in the States...is on a basic highway...with cheap houses just at the doorstep...a CVS (that's a supermarket) right in front...and a row of chain fastfoods less than 400 meters from the entry of the private club...did I say go figure out!



You can be the president of the biggest country here...to play, you need to be invited by a member...or invited to play the Masters. The godfather of my son...has a younger brother who at 14th was top 20 european in his age bracket...so I could have looked at an invitation to watch...but he went for higher education....great choice! So no invite for me ever....at least as things are currently.



You also have a challenge in the crazy golfer community...jump the fence...and play as much as you can before they catch you....not really in my league too! That is indeed call trespassing!



So we stopped there...took the pictures and than headed to "downtown" Augusta. It was a Sunday morning....the local museum of history was closed. See the title above...downtown has more churches than houses...no kidding...how do they do to have these places full....with so many churches...and no houses around....or is it the south...and everybody does have a car around here! Augusta could do with a little paint job, but we truly enjoyed the ride around town, just don't ask us to settle here...or maybe you can provide us a membership....on that golf course!



It was time to drive to Savannah...and trust me, that's a gorgeous city...but before it, we were going to encounter our first cotton field...hey, they are everywhere around here...but not where we grew up! So yes, I stopped for the intersting picture!



Next entry, more of Georgia in Savannah!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb