INTA course on Identity, Soccer, Film Blog # 1


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Atlanta » Buckhead
June 4th 2009
Published: June 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Before coming to Buenos Aires, I had an idea how important soccer is within the Argentine culture, as well as for most of the South American Countries and Mexico; however, I really did not expect soccer to be such a strong source of identity for Angentines. Outside of Argentina, Argentines identify themselves by their nationality, but in Buenos Aires, Portenos identify themselves by their favorite soccer team; such as Boca Juniors, River Plate, Independiente, and others. As a South American, I have an understanding of how culturally important soccer is within our culture. Except for Venezuela, soccer is our national sport regardless of how well our national teams perform at an international level.

Soccer has the immense power of moving masses and gathering people despite any political, racial, or religious differences. In Argentina, I have noticed that that is not the case. People’s strong passion for their favorite teams makes them reject others who do not agree with their soccer affiliation. The best example that I could use to illustrate this point is the experience we had when we went to see Ferro’s game at its stadium. To me, it was very shocking to find out that fans of the opposing team were not allowed in the stadium, and when the Ferro fans thought they had found a fan of the opposing team, they started a fight against these fans. I do not know what ended up happening to those fans, whatever did, I am sure it was not good. What I do know is that the passion for soccer is so strong that can drive people into a very violent and outrageous direction. This does not only happen in Argentina, It also happens in many countries where soccer is so fervidly loved and followed, however, by being here, in Buenos Aires, I can say that the love for soccer in this country is much more latent and explicit than in many other South American countries.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb