Where Veggie Tales Winter


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida
January 4th 2010
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The Thursby House circa 1870The Thursby House circa 1870The Thursby House circa 1870

In 1856 Blue Spring was settled by Louis Thursby and his family. The Thursby house, built in 1872, remains standing.
Geo: 28.9433, -81.3398

They're called the gentle giants and when you see them glide through this crystal clear water you'll wish you'd coined that phrase--it's perfect.

I didn't even know what a Manatee was until Veggie Tales' Barbra Manatee got stuck in my head a couple years ago. The silly song made me curious and I couldn't wait to get up to Blue Springs to see their wintering ground. The guide said there were 400-500 of them between the springs area and the St. John's river it runs in to. The river's only about 58 degrees now, so the constant 73 degree spring water is a warm refuge for them and where they spend the colder months of winter. When things warm up again in the spring, they're gone.

They're huge and ugly and graceful and harmless. And endangered, as propeller blades from motorboats will often slash large gashes on their backs--sometimes causing death.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Those Light Blotches? They're the ManateesThose Light Blotches? They're the Manatees
Those Light Blotches? They're the Manatees

The waters of Blue Spring have no oxygen, so most fish cannot live here--only air breathers.
Mama & BabyMama & Baby
Mama & Baby

What weights over 1000 pounds, looks a bit like a walrus with wrinkled, gray-brown, spongy skin, is sometimes called a "sea cow", is related to an elephant, was mistaken for mermaids, can eat more than 100 pounds of vegetables per day, and travels an average of 3 to 5 miles per hour? Why the manatee, of course!
Head of Blue SpringHead of Blue Spring
Head of Blue Spring

The spring is the largest in the state, discharging 104 million gallons of water daily into the St Johns River. This is the head and it looks like a lake!


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb