Dog Island


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida
September 22nd 2015
Published: September 23rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Roughest day on the water yet.

The first part of the day was spent on a winding narrow part of the ICW but once we reached Apalachicola Bay, the wind had picked up and the waves on the Bay were 2 to 3 feet. This is not comfortable for the crew but our little boat managed it quite well. Some pounding and rocking but we reached our beautiful anchorage on Dog Island as planned. The next couple of days speaks for 15 to 20 knot winds with one meter waves so we will stay put for now. We have internet so we will monitor the weather closely for the three hops we have to make to get around the bend of Florida into Tarpon Springs. We are planning to get to Steinhatchee then Crystal River and finally to Tarpon Springs and back on the ICW.

Dog Island has a small Yacht Club that seems deserted but you can tie up for $20 dollars a night. No amenities and our boat appeared too wide for their slips so we anchored at the same spot as last time. We can tie up to the dinghy dock and go explore the island. Beautiful white sandy beaches and lots of shells. There are quite a few homes not sure if they are only cottages. You would need a boat to commute 5 miles to work. There are few boats at the Yacht Club but all the slips seem to be designated with name plates on them. The transient slips are marked with yellow paint, the sign says, we didn’t see any.

A couple of days off, what ever shall we do. The Captain will surely go crazy. The First Mate is quite happy, I like the beach.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.296s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.145s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb