Cold North Florida


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida
January 10th 2010
Published: January 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Opp, ALOpp, ALOpp, AL

frozen fountain in southern Alabama
We left home Tuesday morning in 10 degree weather. We followed the brine trucks through the southern part of the state, turning our red truck as white as the camper. I-65 through Alabama has some really rough areas, mostly through the cities. We reached Bob and Gena's just after dark, called, and Bob led us in as their driveway was blocked.

We had a great time planning our Alaska trip and catching up. We went and visited with Aunt Patty on Wednesday afternoon. She looks great and it was so good to see her smiling face. Kerry and Bob tried, but were unable to make the running lights on our camper work. We have brake lights and turn signals, but no running lights. I guess we just won't drive after dark and hope there is no rain.

Thursday morning we left Defuniak Springs (after picking up a few groceries at les Walmart) heading south toward the Gulf of Mexico and St. Joseph Peninsula SP. We tried to meet up with Bill Ingles, but couldn't make connections. Maybe next time.

After setting up in a well protected campsite, we walked down to the beach. Beautiful white sands, gorgeous Gulf
Love, love, loveLove, love, loveLove, love, love

Charlie, Aunt Patty and Gena
waters, temps in the 60's and no people! We love this place! We went back just before sunset hoping to get a good sunset-over-the-water picture, but clouds had started moving in from the west. We got rain overnight, wind and cool temps, but made it okay. We could have been warmer, but hadn't turned on the furnace, relying in the small space heater.

Friday morning we went down to the visitor center to see what was there (not much) and took some pictures of the St. Joseph Bay and the Gulf of Mexico with bigger waves than the day before. Again there was no one on the beach. We spent most of the afternoon in the camper reading and trying to stay warm.

Saturday morning we hit the road for Stephen Foster SP near Lake City where Sara and Trevor were waiting for us. We set up the camper then ate shrimp jambalaya for supper. After a rousing game of Phase10, it was bedtime. We woke up this morning to 18 degrees outside, but a comfortable 62 inside.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

St. Joseph St. Joseph
St. Joseph

white sand beach at St. Joe
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Gulf of Mexico at St. Joseph Peninsula SP
PelicansPelicans
Pelicans

hunkered down out of the wind at St. Joseph Bay


10th January 2010

Woke up to 4 degrees this morning!!!!! Monday should be hot, near 40 here! Enjoy Florida.
10th January 2010

Alaska?
We want to hear more about this Alaska adventure . . . when and where??

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb