USA-Cruise-Europe-Day 10


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida
April 16th 2009
Published: May 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 10



This day was our trip to the Kennedy Space Centre at Cape Canaveral.

The drive to the Cape from Orlando was over an hour, so we did not reach the centre until 12:00 - parking was free (just watch out for
Alligators that can be seen just off the car park).

We did not pre-pay our tickets-we just paid for them at the booth. The entrance includes a bus tour that takes you around various parts of the site.







After I had a quick look at the Rocket Park, it was time to board the bus for the 1st stop at the Launch Pad's A & B. On Launch Pad A there was a shuttle (Atlantis) already in position.







On the viewing platform there was a Space Shuttle Engine on Display. Beside the platform was a small theatre & models of the Shuttle, Assembly building etc.







Next it was back on the bus & we drove to Apollo / Saturn V Centre passing the Vehicle Assembly building on the way. The first thing we saw at the centre was a Control Centre from the original Apollo Missions.







After the Control Centre we went into a big hall, where a massive Saturn V Rocket was on display in various sections. We ate our lunch before continuing with the tour.







The next stop saw us at a mock-up of the International Space Station & the building where components are prepared for space missions.
That building is super clean & all staff wear appropriate clothing.







After looking around that building we went took the bus back to the main Kennedy Complex. Out front is a Shuttle booster & once inside there is an actual shuttle on display.







We had a look inside the Shuttle & then went & had a look at the Astronauts Memorial & then had a final walk through the Rocket Park.







A few of us also had our pictures taken with a guy dressed up in a space suit. It was closing time, so we literally drove off into the sunset on the way back to our holiday home.
















Advertisement



Tot: 0.354s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0808s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb