Buffett Or Bust


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Tallahassee
February 28th 2012
Published: February 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to FloridaWelcome to FloridaWelcome to Florida

Looks like we made it...
We started early today..far earlier than yesterday, good thing too.It turns out we needed all day to drive.



I will advise the following is not a narrative. It is not completely in order..



We were out the door of the hotel by 8:00, we gassed up and headed a few exits down the highway to find breakfast. We went to “Waffle House”, the ubiquitous southern early morning, full-menu eatery. It was quite satisfactory.



Prior to returning to the road we programmed GPS’s and got a clear picture of what we had to accomplish. Seven hundred forty seven miles from breakfast to bed.



We started with sunny skies which soon deteriorated into leaden overcast which chased us with showers most of the rest of the way to Jacksonville. We had a brief break the last 20 miles of Georgia into Florida. The Sunshine state did it’s best to give us a proper welcome and Jax to Tallahassee was mostly precipitation free.



We, essentially, encountered no traffic ally day. There were certainly areas where we really had to give close attention to what was going on around us but pretty uneventful all in all. We did, however, see an 18-wheeler on it’s side, down an embankment.



South of the Border. What else is there to say? If you have been there you know..if you haven’t been, there are no words to use which could accurately convey..



Today was my day for a bonehead move. We shall fondly remember this in perpetuity as the “30-minute Fast food Burger”. I was driving and Craig needed a “bio-break”. We took an exit hoping to hit a McDonalds and jump back on 95S. As we turn off the end of the ramp everything is there 47 restaraunts, 15 places to gas up…where’s the Micky-D’s? About 2.5 miles later we found it. Things only got worse from there. When someone finally took my order it literally took them 10 minutes to get me a double cheeseburger and a medium coffee. The poor girl behind the counter was clearly unable to do more than one thing at a time. Read the order on the screen, pick up a bag, go to the counter, open the bag, place it down. Go back and read the order again. Pick up a burger, go back to the counter, put it in the bag. Check the order again. Go get a medium fry, go to the bag, put it in. This all took close to two minutes for her and this was for the people 3 orders in front of me!



It seems that Tallahassee closes early..we got into town about 9:30, checked into the hotel and then tried to find someplace to eat. HA! We ended up in a 24-hour burger place, Whattaburger. I think I am in love. I told Linda that if she wakes up tonight and I am not in the room..that’s where I am.



I feel the need to do a little “myth busting” tonight. Most people would say that guys only think of sex and women, not so much. So over dinner tonight Craig and I were asked what we talked about today in the car. Buffett, weather, pretty mundane things. It seems my wife and Cheryl were expressing their mutual “interest” in Shemar Moore from “Criminal Minds”. It sounds like it was a lengthy discussion. (in the interest of being honest, I have said, in public, that I would probably do him too, given the chance! LOL)







More wildlife today. We saw another bald eagle, Linda and Cheryl saw a deer I saw a buffalo (Tatanka!) and so many black and turkey vultures that they defied counting.



We are all very excited to go to Buffett tomorrow. It seems the venue is right down the road from the hotel so we can be in bed by midnight tomorrow.



I will say at this time, I can not promise an update tomorrow night. We could be wrecked, it is likely we’ll be tired…we’ll just have to see how it goes.

Advertisement



28th February 2012

Good Show ! Now you have time to rest up and enjoy the Florida weather before the Jimmy Buffett Concert tonight. You should find a nice white sandy beach and stretch out and enjoy the sun, sand and surf !!! The picture in your blog is great. Havce a GREAT day !!

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb