Vilano Beach St. Augustine, Florida


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » St Augustine » Vilano Beach
December 2nd 2012
Published: December 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Old Bridge / New BridgeOld Bridge / New BridgeOld Bridge / New Bridge

Cool that the old bridge is the new pier at Vilano Beach!
With both an Atlantic Ocean side and a Matanzas / North River side, Vilano Beach has miles and miles of ocean beach and water views. We're back at North Beach RV Resort which stretches from river to ocean divided only by scenic A1A! We've camped at North Beach almost a dozen times over the past 7 years. We've noted changes during that time span; but it is probably the things that are constant - like the lush, indigenous landscaping between camp sites that we most appreciate.

We spent most of our time right at North Beach. We walked along the beach where on day one a wedding rehearsal was in progress and on day two guests were arriving. There were more fishermen (and women) than anyone else along the crashing wave line. The sand is a bit gravely (pre-a hurricane it was white and smooth) likely from a restoration project. We could walk to two restaurants, a river fishing pier, and the pool (unheated and with a hot tub that’s not)!

We spent our last day in town. St. Augustine is lively. It reminds us a little of Key West. We shopped (a dress for me and Christmas gifts for a few gals on our list), strolled along Spanish Street (new to us), followed the music to Mi Casa where we had tall, cool and yummy $6 Sangrias while a duo entertained. We had done the “tour” and museums on a previous trip and would recommend the tram tour. Since it was Sunday, most of the galleries seemed closed; but we got to talk to one plein aire artist who is also a military re-enactor (Red Coat), salvager and multi tasker of various other pursuits – fun to meet free spirits like him.

We jeeped to a new Publix market which compares with our Price Chopper home, grabbed lunch at Beaches (a restaurant with tiki bar and entertainment along the river), bought yumbo key lime snowflake cookies and enjoyed a local high school's percussion band at a monthly Saturday Sunset Event at the Vilano Pier. The pier, great for events, fishing and sunsets was created from the “old” bridge when the new “Francis & Mary Usina” Bridge was build. The Usina family has a colorful history as pioneers in the North Beach area. Their descendants own the camp ground, utility company, and our two favorite North Beach restaurants
BeachesBeachesBeaches

This river side restaurant has been expanded with great new decks. It's on a spit of riverfront between the new bridge and the old bridge which is now a fishing pier and gathering spot for sunsets and events.
– The Reef and Aunt Kate’s! The Publix is located in a little strip mall with a nail salon, Puccini’s Pizzeria (with outdoor seating and a staff that accommodated our use of a sofa to set up shop and send e-mails). A new (to us) attraction is a water taxi from Vilano Beach to and from downtown St. Augustine. The water taxi was booking holiday lights tours during our visit. We understand these events are fun and often sell out as they had on Saturday.

The pre-holiday season found Vilano Beach palm trees decorated in a very homey and often (forgive me Vilano Beach folks) homely style. In the spirit of creativity, economy, and the season; I am trying to be objective; but this project needs a little jurying! Judge for yourself in the pix following the jump!

A word about internet and cell service. Since we both still work as consultants and have clients and family to keep in touch with; we wish the AT&T cell connectivity (which I use) were better at the North Beach Camp Ground. Wes’s Verizon works fine. I can tap into his for receiving e-mails. An adequate solution, mentioned prior, is to
Fisherman & Pelican FanFisherman & Pelican FanFisherman & Pelican Fan

This guy really knows how to fillet a fish and the pelican seems to know that there are "parts" that he might enjoy! Great fishing in the Matanzas River!
draft e-mails and dash into the comfy deck of Puccini’s at Vilano Beach Center to send them. Our Verizon phones work fine.

Details – St. Augustine Area

Rates for RV sites at North Beach RV Resort for a single family range from $40 to $70 for a riverfront site with full hook ups. We settle in at $60 for full 50 AMP hook up including cable TV. Cabins are available for $110 / $150. double occupancy. You’ll add $10 for extra people.

Parking in town ranged from $6-$10 unlimited (all day/evening) on a weekend. There is a parking garage; but we opted for a surface lot.

In early December, it was shirtsleeve weather during the day. We put on jackets in the evening, especially if we were eating outside.

Saltwater Cowboys near Anastasia Beach is on the short list to visit when we return (April 2013??)!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

High School Percussion Band High School Percussion Band
High School Percussion Band

This band was fun to watch and listen to. They were playing on the Vilano Pier on the "First Saturday Sunset Event." Glad we were here on the 1sth Saturday in December.
Fun Band & SangriaFun Band & Sangria
Fun Band & Sangria

We stopped in at Mi Casa Cafe in St. Augustine for music and sangria. Nice way to spend a bit of the afternoon!
Bill Sabo at Aunt Kate'sBill Sabo at Aunt Kate's
Bill Sabo at Aunt Kate's

Aunt Kates is owned by the same people who own The Reef (our fav St. Aug restaurant) and North Beach RV Resort where we have stayed almost a dozen times.
Shopping in St. AugustineShopping in St. Augustine
Shopping in St. Augustine

Always stop in at "Go Fish" when in St. Augustine. Fair trade items from third world countries. Well made, colorful and a boost to artisan families struggling to better themselves!
St. Augustine Methodist ChurchSt. Augustine Methodist Church
St. Augustine Methodist Church

Love that so much of the architecture has a Spanish theme!
Bar B Q Shop on Spanish StreetBar B Q Shop on Spanish Street
Bar B Q Shop on Spanish Street

This is a very cute pink pig smoker!
Eight Tiny ReindeerEight Tiny Reindeer
Eight Tiny Reindeer

There is a very funky Christmas decorating initiative going on in Vilano Beach. Here is a clever one - frankly, while this blog tries hard to stay positive, some of these "creations" are a bit bizarre!
Sock Monkey Palm Tree DecorationSock Monkey Palm Tree Decoration
Sock Monkey Palm Tree Decoration

I told you these needed a bit of editing! Bring in the jury!
Tourist as Palm TreeTourist as Palm Tree
Tourist as Palm Tree

Told ya it was


Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.117s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb