Marie Selby Botanical Gardens


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Sarasota
February 12th 2009
Published: February 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Marie Selby Botanical Gardens - It is so wonderful that wealthy women - like Marie Selby in Sarasota; Charlotte Hyde in Glens Falls, NY; and Isabelle Stuart Gardner in Boston, donate their homes, art collections and, in this case, gardens, to be enjoyed by all. This lovely attraction is indeed worth the rather pricy $17 admission fee. Again, pictures speak a thousand words.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

CanopyCanopy
Canopy

Like being in the tree tops at a rain forest.
Wes Under the Ficus TreeWes Under the Ficus Tree
Wes Under the Ficus Tree

The amazing ground roots protect the tree by anchoring it.
Wes and a Banyan TreeWes and a Banyan Tree
Wes and a Banyan Tree

In India Alexander the Great hid an army of 7000 men in a Banyan grove.
The Selby MansionThe Selby Mansion
The Selby Mansion

Marie's husband researched Colonial architecture in planning their home. There is a narrow two story entrance foyer with twin curving staircases. The foyer leads directly to the patio with two symentrical "wings" leading to dining and living rooms on opposite sides.
BambooBamboo
Bamboo

There was a slight breeze and the bamboo shoots struck against each other creating an amazing percussion sound.
Garden ShopGarden Shop
Garden Shop

Every tour ends at the shop.


12th February 2009

Nice, Nice
Oh my, look at these places. I'd love to see this place sometime. I love the flowers and gazebo. Jeff loves the koi pond. That gives me an for our koi pond. Have a blast! and mom and I will see you when you get home. Love Lauren.

Tot: 0.424s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 21; qc: 122; dbt: 0.1358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb