The front that won't leave


Advertisement
Published: February 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

The weather man promised a partly sunny day so I was looking forward to seeing the sun. He lied. I woke to the pitter patter on the roof again and this time the reporter said the front had stalled and would be here all day. Ok, on to plan B.
I played on the computer, watched tv and continued to further mess up the house. (I can’t believe how much of a disaster we can make in such a short time). Yes, Oscar is to blame here too, there is sand and hair everywhere. I guess he’s loosing his winter coat.

About noon the rain stopped so we went out for a walk to see what was up. We walked to the dock area and found that the air boat was running and the man at the booth said there was a hole in the clouds between 1 and 2 so it seemed that now was my chance to hop on the boat.
The ride was nice but since the weather was not sunny we didn’t see many critters. Interesting fact is that this big lake is no more than 3 ft deep and rises and falls drastically as the rain comes and goes. There are over 600 alligators in this area and some spend their whole lives here in this lake. They eat anything they can find including pigs and deer. A quick way to tell how long an alligator is, is to measure the distance from his eyes to nose in inches then the length is that number in feet. I guess you have to bring a tape measure with you.

After the ride I went back and got Oscar, walked a bit, than hopped in the car to see what critters were out and about. We went to the bird walk (picture) and saw several birds but the best was watching 2 wild pigs (they call them hogs here) run across the flats.

I’ll let the rest of the pictures tell the story. I ended up going to bed at 9.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

big one!big one!
big one!

distance from eye to nose in inches, change to feet and that's how long the alligator is. This one is 13 ft or better
wild hogswild hogs
wild hogs

finally saw some
wood storkwood stork
wood stork

They are really beautiful flying


Tot: 0.364s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 98; dbt: 0.2162s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb