Boating with Captain Mike


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Pine Island
November 17th 2009
Published: November 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

What a day! Wes got the name of Captain Mike Nabors from Scotty at Coast Connections at Bokeelia. We met Mike this morning near Woody's on the Monroe Canal near St. James City, Pine Island. He first took us out the Monroe Canal and then back up another. St. James City and much of Pine Island is a virtual "Venice" of canal systems. We wound around identifying birds, talking about fishing, enjoying the scenery and seeing things from the waterfront perspective. Mike took us to the Sanibel/Ding Darling Wildlife area which was just beautiful and teaming with wildlife. We headed for the causeway that we cross with the jeep from Fort Meyers to get to Sanibel/Captiva. Mike turned the boat back at the Sanibel Lighthouse, heading under the bridge to Picnic Island, a Lee County Park which is free and open to boaters for wading, shelling, etc. We went wading after our shared picnic. Had a little issue with the boat before departing the island (Wes was a hero and helped Mike get things back to normal) For me, strains of "A Three Hour Tour (remembering Dobie Gillis" danced in my head! We fell more in love with this area. One dream: a simple house and a boat (just an adequate house and small boat - nothing fancy) on a canal in St. James City, Bokeelia or Matlacha! Back at the RV Park, a little work returning messages before heading for the pool while the laundry spinned. To Woody's where Charlie of the Yard Dogs held court while we enjoyed an early siupper! What a day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

DolfinDolfin
Dolfin

It is very hard to actually shoot a photo of a dolfin.
Mother and ChildMother and Child
Mother and Child

Isn't this cute?
Wes and Joanne Picnic IslandWes and Joanne Picnic Island
Wes and Joanne Picnic Island

That is a blown down of an Australian Pine behind us.
What's Happening Here?What's Happening Here?
What's Happening Here?

Wes was the hero!
Along a CanalAlong a Canal
Along a Canal

There is a great deal of protected, forever wild, land on Pine Island.
Juvenile Bald EagleJuvenile Bald Eagle
Juvenile Bald Eagle

Our captain had worked at the Ding Darling Nature Center on Sanibel. He was a wonderful guide; really knew his wildlife.
RookeryRookery
Rookery

Pelicans at rest. At night, birds of all specie settle here until dawn.


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb