Christmas in March


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Pensacola
March 26th 2013
Published: March 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

3/25/13 PM

Kona found her first cactus with her left rear paw. Pricked her good and a few spines remained in her pad. We did our best with tweezers, the salt water will help, we'll keep an eye on the pooch, but she's a tough broad. Slept in the van for third night.



3/26/13

Day two on Pensacola Beach in Florida. A long narrow peninsula with rolling sand dunes, creamy white sand & aqua waters, high warm sun and a consistent 5-10mph wind with a mean chill. Low 40's in AM. 55-60 during the day. We are across the bay from a Navy base home to the Blue Angles. 8:30AM they were screaming across the sky directly above us, 'Practice Session' ; practice again tomorrow at 8:30 and this time ill be on the sands getting a close up show, pics to follow.

After breakfast the first order of business was K-O-N-A who couldnt wait to leave camp for the shallow waters. Stick-stick-and more stick then a long walk down the beach till we found a return trail.

By now late morning we returned to camp and set up a bad-ass screen house, a Christmas present from my parents, today was the first time we set it up, it was like christmas over. Then I think we might have taken a little snooze in the shelter from the wind.

Afternoon included Insanity Workout #1 and another Kona beach session this time with a fresh tennis ball. There's really nothing like a fresh tennis ball.

Lighting our first camp fire tonight. Yesterday I cut up some hefty logs with my hefty saw so I can have a hefty fire tonight. Maybe ill throw a picture of that in too.



Van/Trailer Update....if you feel like hearing about it.

Aint so bad. Van pulls like an injured billy goat, joking, maybe a teenage billy goat. Its solid so far, some push/tug feed back over bumps. My trailer estimate is its just under 2000lbs loaded up. Van's rated at up to 3600lb tow capacity. Engine is smooth and consistent but we have to keep it under 70mph at highway speed to keep in in 6th (high gear), 70mph or over and it sits in 5th at 2500-3000rpm and I can hear it drinking. 65mph is 1500-2000 rpm. Highway grade hills require about 3500 rpm for the duration, sometimes up to a mile. Budget cautious of our MPG before leaving I tested the van, researched my gas prices and built my excel sheet. But I held strong and did not look at the MPG rating till we reached Florida, about 1700 miles and aprox 23 hrs of driving. ((((( 15 MPG Average ))))) I was surprised and anticipating more like 11-12, good news.



Time to prep dinner at the kitchen station that has drawn the attention of neighbors several times.

Special thanks to Dale and and my dad for helping with that project.



Till next time...

JP


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



27th March 2013

Kona needs to wear her new shoes in those unknown parts;) Looks a bit chilly in Florida....
27th March 2013

awesome!
Sounds and looks so fun! You guys are awesome!!! Hope you enjoy every minute :)
27th March 2013

LOOKS LIKE IT IS NOT TO WARM IN FLORIDA HOPE THE WEATHER GETS BETTER FOR U KONA SURE LOOKS HAPPY AWESOME SCREEN ROOM LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE HAVING GREAT TIME. TAKE CARE

Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb