The mean side of Buenos Aires


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Orlando
March 27th 2013
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 28.5377, -81.3774

Our last day in Buenos Aires we were robbed of our camera, cash and credit cards. We took the subway downtown for a last look around before leaving the next day, but instead of a nostalgic wander around we had a rude, scarey ending to our 2 1/2 month trip to Argentina and Chile.

Professional gangs of thieves haunt the subways. We've known this but have ridden them safely for 4 years. But this day, a day before leaving the country, we got on at a very crowded stop and were immediately separated by 4 large men who surrounded Bob and wouldn't let him move.

Just before the next stop they rammed his back and as he's grabbing the railing to keep from falling, they unzip the shoulder bag he's carrying and grab the Nikon, unzip another pocket and grab the cash, then reach in his pants pocket for his card holder.

They're off the train before he can even recover his footing.

It just makes you feel so vunerable. They were fast. And while mean, they weren't vicious. No knives or guns, no injuries, just a scarey encounter that made us glad to be heading for home.

I'm actually writing this a week and a half later as we sit safe and secure with family in Florida. It takes some time to unlock and be able to look at it with some distance. Even though we weren't hurt--we weren't even threatened--it was most unpleasant.


Advertisement



28th March 2013

Oh no we are so sorry your trip had to end like this happening to you. Just so glad you both were not hurt. But this is something you well never forget I am sure. I am glad you have friends in Fl to stay with. Our prayers are with you.
28th March 2013

Dear Karen n Bob; We are very sorry to hear about your horrible experience. Thank God, these thieves were not armed to inflict more pain. We are glad you are back in the States and will see you soon. Skip & Jeanne
28th March 2013

What a horrible way to end your trip, Thank Goodness you are safe and they didn't harm both of you. LLoyd and I had wondered what happened and where you were as we thought you would be back in Arizona by now. Stay well and enjoy Florida.
28th March 2013

Thanks. It's good to be back.

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0268s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1021.1kb