Thunderstorms, Shamu and hanging upside down


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Orlando
July 7th 2015
Published: July 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

After landing at Orlando airport in the midst of a tropical storm, lightning arcing across the night sky, we collected our rental car and made our way through the torrential rain and flooding to our villa in Indian Wells. By the time we had collected a few necessities from hell (aka Walmart), it was getting close to 11pm so we got our heads down ready to hit the theme parks this morning. It was the best sleep I've had since I left home - sleeping past 5am was heavenly.

Our first park was Sea World. Izzy was particularly looking forward to it as our last visit left her unable to go on the two big rides due to her height. With a few more inches to her advantage, the Manta ride was the first port of call. Fastened in to our seats, tipped forward on to all fours and legs held firmly in place with braces felt like I had entered Mr Grey's red room of pain rather than a roller coaster ride. Either way, it was great fun and we managed to repeat the experience a few more times before the day was over.

We got soaked on the Journey to Atlantis ride but soon dried off in the hot sun before finding our seats at Shamu Stadium to watch the killer whale show. Orca's are beautiful creatures and although I'd much rather see them in their natural habitat, the way they interact with their trainers is engaging to watch. The show always begins with a special mention to those who have served in the US, Canadian, UK or other allied armed forces and the rowdy applause brought a lump to my throat rather like the opening bars of 'Land of Hope and Glory' or 'I still call Australia home', my two personal patriotic favourites! The show itself was entertaining and sitting in the splash zone we were hoping to get splashed in the hope it would cool us down. No such luck, but it was funny to watch the guy on the front row get drenched from head to foot and then proceed to find a new seat higher up in the stand!

I remember visiting Sea World aged 10 and feeling awed by the dolphins. They are still a favourite of mine but seeing them in the wild at our local beach several times a week has diminished the effect of seeing these exquisite creatures up close. I wonder about them being in captivity being such an intelligent mammal. Would they really perform the tricks if they weren't happy?

Highlight of the day:

Izzy - Manta

Lily - Journey to Atlantis

Bruce - Manta

Lyndsey - Manta

Not like Lily to go against the tide!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



7th July 2015

Favourite Place :)
We so loved going to this place with you guys !!! Has to be the highlight of anyones visit to Orlando... Well Jel now XXX
7th July 2015

We missed having you there, it's not quite the same without you all. So many amazing memories xx

Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb