A Very Short, But Would-have-been Spectacular Light-show


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Orlando » Disney World
August 5th 2008
Published: November 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Movie SetMovie SetMovie Set

Movie set in the Disney Hollywood Studios
Our second theme park was the Disney Hollywood Studios. This is Disney's response to Universal Studios with various stunt shows and various TV / movie themed rides. The most popular one seemed to be the Tower of Terror , which was themed as the Twilight Zone and consisted of a lift that went to the top of the tower and then free-fell most of the way back down. There was also the Aerosmith Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, which, in our opinion is Disney's best roller coaster, rivalled only by the Mount Everest Ride in the Animal Kingdom.

Star Wars seemed to be a big theme here, much to our son’s delight, however we couldn’t really workout what the connection with Disney was, unless it was just good, down-to-earth coining it in. High School Musical (a sugar-coated version of Grease) was everywhere you turned, which was much to our daughter’s delight.

There were a couple of really good stunt shows that were worth checking out, including a stunt driving (which was fantastic) and Indiana Jones. The film-set tour was all a bit unconvincing, as were the mock New York and San Francisco streets.

As with all the parks, this one also had its own parade in the middle of the day.

At the end of the day, there is a show involving water, lights, lasers and fireworks. It is supposed to be out-of-this-world and it is recommended that you get there early. We got there with about ¾ hour to spare, but some people had been there two hours or more. Anyway, to cut a long story short there was a technical problem of some sort and it lasted about two minutes. Everyone was sat there in stunned disbelieve trying to workout if it was in fact over or not. There was almost a riot, and it would have taken a lot of pixie dust to calm that down. The two minutes that we did see were very spectacular.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb