Found the Birds!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Orange City
February 21st 2018
Published: February 23rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

blog 02-21-18 Found the Birds!

Reservations were made for this morning on a sight seeing tour on the St John River. I was up and moving and walking Watson by 8:45. The poor boy had to go back in the air conditioned camper for a few hours this morning.

I headed to the boat launch at 9:20, bought my ticket and went to the dock to wait for boarding. There was a great blue heron standing very close waiting for breakfast, and a bald eagle sitting in the top of a tree up river a little. Cormorants sunning on the logs and black vultures flying overhead. All of a sudden the birds were back.

We boarded the boat and I got a seat along the outside so I could take pictures and settled in for the safety instructions. We headed up river and into an ox bow off the main river and there were birds everywhere. There were blue heron, tri-colored heron,white egrets, snowy egrets, cattle egrets, hard to find limpkins, some with chicks, red-shoulder hawk, sandhill cranes, ibus, little blue heron, and assorted allegators and turtles.

It was a great tour and we arrived late so we could take a longer look at some of wildlife we saw.

Again I will let the pictures tell the story. Don't forget to scroll down for all the pictures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

mom limpkin squawking at a gator in the water-note the baby gator in the left backgroundmom limpkin squawking at a gator in the water-note the baby gator in the left background
mom limpkin squawking at a gator in the water-note the baby gator in the left background

The Limpkin had 2 chicks, and the gator was trying to protect her kids. dramatic scene


Tot: 0.291s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 99; dbt: 0.1741s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb