Naples, FL (Flippin' Lush!!) - Part 1


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Naples
December 11th 2015
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Independence of the Seas arrives at Ft LauderdaleIndependence of the Seas arrives at Ft LauderdaleIndependence of the Seas arrives at Ft Lauderdale

06:30am. She followed the Royal Princes in to dock
Despite departure times of guests being staggered depending on individual circumstances, everyone has to vacate their stateroom by 7am regardless of whether your departure slot is 07:30 or 1030. For this reason disembarkation day can be chaos with all passengers, hand luggage in tow, crowding the breakfast buffet, lounge seats are at a premium and the customer service staff working overtime as those passengers have last minutes queries on their final account.

Our allocated time was one of the early independent traveller slots at 07:15. We had breakfast as usual at the International café. The numbers dotted around the central piazza weren't any more than normal.

Times are only approximations so we have to wait until immigration clear the ship. For this reason we were told to wait in the Concerto restaurant until out colour and number is called.

Roisin and I follow a mountain of a man and his lady friend in to the restaurant. He was sporting a cut off denim jacket with the death head logo on the back, and the words Hells Angel MC. It just didn't seem right. A member of one of the most notorious gangs in the history of popular culture and he was swanning around on a Caribbean Cruise. The weird thing is, this is the first time I've noticed him. You would think that someone of his stature and demeanour would be at a disadvantage when it comes to blending in!!

Underneath The Hells Angel logo the patch read 'South Carolina'. That's what they refer to as their Chapter!! That much I know although I wasn't going to tell him that. I didn't want him to think I was from a rival gang. I also noticed that the apostrophe was missing from the ‘Hells' but I was happy to let it go this time!!! I didn't want to get anyone in to trouble!!

Big and hairy with a bushy beard and wild hair tied back in a ponytail. And that was just his missus!!

Our colour and number was called just before 07:45 and within 10 minutes we had signed out, collected our luggage, passed through immigration and were sitting in the cab that would take us to Fort Lauderdale Airport where we were scheduled to pick up another hire car.

We took the Interstate 75 to Naples where were would spend the next four nights relaxing before the long flight home. The section of the I-75 that we took is also known as Alligator Alley. It runs practically straight as a die for 140 miles from Miami to Naples. From there it shoots up Florida in to Georgia across Tennessee, Kentucky and Ohio before ending some 1,700 miles later in Michigan.

Alligator Alley also crosses through the Miccosukee Indian Reservation.

‘Watch out for any alligators crossing the road', Roisin said.

‘…or Injuns!!' I added in my best Jimmy Stewart voice (although Roisin thought I sounded more like Martha Stewart!!)

We found the Best Western Hotel Naples with relative ease. The grounds of the hotel are landscaped with block paved paths interspersed by ponds full of coy carp and, due to my ignorance of all things piscine, what I can only describe as giant goldfish. The ponds can be admired from small wooden bridges that cross over to another part of this marvellous feature. The landscaping uses palms and ferns to great effect with the odd cypress tree thrown in for good measure. Amongst the flora and fauna are various sculptures using wildlife as a theme. Toads hop around and the Geckos scuttle from one ‘hotspot' to another. The landscaped wooded area then opens up to a swimming pool and Jacuzzi whirlpool surrounded by sun loungers, tables and chairs. A continental style breakfast, included in our tariff, is served around the pool each morning. We think we're going to like it here.

As our room wasn't quite ready on our arrival, we walked to a nearby Publix to pick up some supplies. Publix is a supermarket chain in these here parts! Whilst waiting at the checkout, an elderly gentleman, who had purchased only about 3 low value items was fumbling with his credit card. He seemed to be having difficulty in holding a pen to sign his name.

Are you from outer State?' the check-out girl asked.

For a moment I thought she'd asked: ‘Are you from outer space??!' Which would have been more appropriate as he obviously had never seen a biro before!!

When we're away and looking for eateries, TGI Fridays is usually a safe bet. We had identified a TGI's a few hundred yards from the hotel through the magic of the internet! On speaking to the reception staff, they informed us that TGI Fridays has closed down but there are still quite a few restaurants within ½ mile. We chose The Cheesecake Factory. Cathy, one of our trivia team mates, mentioned this a few days ago. What she didn't mention was that it is a diner with an extensive menu serving over 250 dishes. They are famous for their massive 50 signature cheesecake desserts. This is a national franchise but I'm not convinced their name reflects the business. The cheesecake factory should consider a rebranding. As if I didn't know any better, I would just keep on walking past thinking it was, well, just a Cheesecake factory!!!

Like most restaurants in the USA, all standard portions are immediately and without prejudice supersized. Tonight was no exception. This big mistake was to order cheesecake for dessert. This was a massive (if not enjoyable!) error of judgement as the cheesecake can be considered a meal in its own right!! My problem is that I'm like one of those animals that will eat itself to death if portion control isn't exercised. Lesson learned: Child's portion and no dessert from now on!!

12.12.2015

These four days are really a chance just to chill out, relax and enjoy our good memories from the recent cruise in the sunny climate of the west coast of Florida.

However, we can't spend time at a resort without getting our bearings. Our plan to day: a two hour trolley bus tour and then back to the hotel, slap on the sun tan lotion then bake on 82 degrees for 4 hours!!!

Sat-Nav primed, we found the trolley bus depot without much trouble. Our driver and guide was Wayne, a forty something originally from North Idaho who followed his brother down here almost fifteen years ago. There were only two other tourists in the trolley bus as we started our tour around Naples and its environs. The trolley bus is a hop-on hop-off arrangement and the ticket is valid all day. As these buses only run every hour, we had no intention of hopping off even if we weren't thinking of hopping back on!

Naples, despite sharing a name with its more famous Italian city has no links with its namesake. The only connection is that one of its founders, Walter N. Haldeman had been to Naples, Italy, liked the place and thought the bay here surpassed the Bay of Naples.

In the late 1860s a few hearty pioneers, Roger Gordon and Joe Wiggins, ventured in by boat before the Civil War and set aside their nomadic ways and built camps to serve the needs of travelers and settlers. This was the wilderness at its wildest. The only real way to enter Naples at this time was by water either from the Mexican Gulf or through the swamps of the Everglades.

Naples the city was founded during the late 1880s by former Confederate general and Kentucky U.S. Senator John Stuart Williams and his partner, Louisville businessman Walter N. Haldeman.

The first stop on the trolley bus tour took us to the entrance to Tin City. At the turn of the 20th century, this was just a network of wooden huts for local fishermen with a boardwalk connecting the buildings that ran alongside the bay. Today it is a small mall full of bar, restaurants and stores selling everything from flowers to antiques.

The tour took us passed some of the most exclusive properties in Collier County. We since checked out a few properties at a local estate agent (Realtor) and could not find a property for less than $3.1 million. I can safely say with a high degree of confidence that we won't be driving past any council estates.

Throughout its history, Naples has become a winter playground for industrialists and celebrities including Thomas Edison, Greta Garbo, Gary Cooper and Hedy Lamarr. Although it was a nice day, there weren't many of the rich and famous playing out today!!

Wayne, told us that there are 500 restaurants in Naples and 90 Golf Courses. There appears to be a Golf Club on every corner and a Golf and Country Club on at least every other block!!

We were both astonished how well manicured the verges, central reservations and hedgerow are. There are miles and miles of Palm tree laden avenues that look like each tree has been planted in a precise location and the surrounding grass has been cut with a pair of nail scissors and measured with a ruler to ensue each blade meets a certain specification. Most driveways had some sort of tasteful decoration adorning the entrance celebrating the Christmas season. Not one flashing Santa climbing a ladder in sight!!

Wayne pointed out Judge Judie's condominium. She bought the property some years ago for a modest $7 million. Considering each dispute only lasts ½ hour she must be on a terrific hourly rate!!

Wayne never stopped talking for the whole two hours as we cruised down past the beach side country clubs and neighbouring mansions, past the Naples Pier and along 5th Avenue. This is one of the main thoroughfares in Naples known for its designer shops and restaurants. Many of the building down this Avenue do have a certain Italian Renaissance about them.

The area of 5th Avenue and the Naples Pier looked interesting. We ought to take a closer look at those tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Hotel room backs on to the wooded groundsHotel room backs on to the wooded grounds
Hotel room backs on to the wooded grounds

Best Western Inns and Suites, Naples, FL


16th December 2015

sweet
16th December 2015

Looks like our Signe....

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb