Beaches and a 'Deco' City


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Miami
June 28th 2009
Published: July 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 820 (28/06/09)

After saying our goodbyes to Kate and Danny and making an early transfer to the airport in Mexico we got on our flight to Miami. Just a couple of hours later with customs and formalities over with we jumped in a cab and before we knew it we were installed in our hostel in Miami just off Ocean Drive.

With the afternoon still ours to squander we used the local looping bus to visit the supermarket and stock up for the next couple of days. It's been a while since we were in such a well-stocked supermarket and we could have spent a fortune on all the things we'd missed as we wandered around calling to each other "Look! Cheddar cheese...bacon...etc.etc." Never before have we been so excited to be in a supermarket! Back at the hostel we spent the rest of the day relaxing in the hostel sheltering from the torrential rain that had made the afternoon a write off.

Day 821 (29/06/09)

With the morning starting with rain again we decided to brave it and take a walk along the lovely Miami beach. Due to the weather we had the beach almost entirely to ourselves as we made our way slowly along the broad pale sands and took the obligatory paddle in the warm, clear sea. Mark couldn’t resist a visit to one of the many lifeguard huts along the beach, all of which are designed in different styles, to try out his skills as lifeguard. Baywatch here we come, sadly minus the skimpy red shorts!

Ocean Drive which, surprisingly enough fronts the beach. Packed with beautiful Art Deco style buildings and little outdoor bars and cafes, it was next on our wandering route. It was evident that the weather wasn't sure what it wanted to do but we were glad when the sun came out really highlighting the ice-cream colours that the buildings are painted in.

As the day heated up we went for an hour or so on the beach to enjoy the sunshine and take the chance for a swim on the stunning Miami coast before the heavens once again opened forcing us back to the hostel and afternoon of Wimbledon tennis on the TV.

Day 822 (30/06/09)

Wanting to make the most of the early good weather we had another walk around the South Beach area to take in more of the stunning Florida architecture. We couldn’t resist a stop off at the traditional American Diner for a coffee and a milkshake on the way back.

Again taking the opportunity for some sunning on the beach in the early afternoon we managed until even the lifeguard came around to warn everyone of the rain that was coming. We made it back just before the rain plummeted down yet again and we were confined to the hostel and some TV once more.

Despite the tropical weather we’ve encountered in Miami we have really loved it here, with a beautiful beach and art deco influences everywhere you turn. Maybe a holiday home here…?!



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



21st July 2009

A Must
You must go to Joe's Stone Crabs while in Miami.

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb