South Beach, Home of the Tanned and Topless


Advertisement
Published: May 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today started out with a walk down Collins Ave. from our hotel (in North Beach) to Dunkin Donuts for breakfast. After we ate we hopped on the H bus to South Beach, located about a 15 minute drive away. We spent the entire day walking up and down Ocean Drive, Collins Avenue and Washington Avenue, people watching, walking on the beach for the first time since we've been here, and taking in the scenery. We were amazed at the amount of abandoned and run down buildings here, some looking like they've been empty since the 1980's. There are also quite a few new and renovated buildings as well, and there is certainly no shortage of wealth in the area.
During our walk down Ocean Drive we passed the former mansion of Gianni Versace. In 1997 Versace was murdered on his steps here by Andrew Cunanan. The home is now a ritzy hotel, where rooms range from $2000 to $10,000 a night!

We also discovered after walking out on the beach that bikini tops are optional here. I knew there were topless beaches around...I just didn't know that this was one of them. Sorry I don't have any lude photos to
Miami BeachMiami BeachMiami Beach

Yeah, I think I could live here...
share (okay, maybe just one), but I was more fascinated by the white sand and clear blue water (definitely not something you see on the West coast!).

After walking about 50 blocks back and forth, we came upon a cute little street called Epanola Way (off Washington Ave.), filled with restaurants and shops. We decided to eat at a place called Oh! Mexico, which turned out to be an excellent choice. I had the Campesina salad (grilled chicken and veggies) and a mojito margarita, and both were delicious.

After dinner we set back out to do some more walking, heading out one last time to the beach before jumping back on the H bus back to North Beach and our hotel. After one last walk to the beach (closest to our hotel), we exhaustedly walked the last couple of blocks to the room where I am now letting my feet recuperate before we head to the Keys tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Miami BeachMiami Beach
Miami Beach

...or maybe here
South BeachSouth Beach
South Beach

Former home of Gianni Versace (where he was murdered)...now a ritzy hotel
South BeachSouth Beach
South Beach

Just a cool looking hotel/restaurant
South BeachSouth Beach
South Beach

Heading out to the beach
South BeachSouth Beach
South Beach

Heading out to the beach
South BeachSouth Beach
South Beach

Interesting scenery...
South BeachSouth Beach
South Beach

Cool looking tree outside the Bass Art Museum
South BeachSouth Beach
South Beach

The Surfcomber Hotel
South BeachSouth Beach
South Beach

The 11th Street Diner (where we almost ate)
South BeachSouth Beach
South Beach

Looking down Espanola Way
South BeachSouth Beach
South Beach

Looking down Espanola Way
South BeachSouth Beach
South Beach

Oh! Mexico restaurant
South BeachSouth Beach
South Beach

Oh! Mexico restaurant
South BeachSouth Beach
South Beach

Mojito margarita
South BeachSouth Beach
South Beach

Nikki Beach Bar, where several movies (like the awful movie "From Justin to Kelly") and TV shows have been filmed
The H BusThe H Bus
The H Bus

Riding the bus back to North Beach
North BeachNorth Beach
North Beach

Beach Place Hotel


3rd May 2008

Second Attempt
I think someone else got our comment on their blog. It came up on the screen "error." They are probably wondering about the topless beach comment. Oh well, did Chris see the beautiful beaches past the topless sunbathers? The restaurant looked good. Did you eat outside? So far your trip seems to be going well. Hope it continues.
3rd May 2008

Hahaha...probably not! Yep, we ate outside. The whole street reminded me of Europe (I think it was supposed to be like a little Spain), which was probably what drew me to it. There were also a lot of Europeans staying in the area too...it probably reminded them of home!
4th May 2008

Did you go for a paddle and jumping waves? They look like marvellous sandy beaches for running around on, English beaches are full of pebbles. I notice the Margarita was nearly all gone before you even started on the meal! Hahahaha. It looks colourful and tasty though.
4th May 2008

P.S.
Meant to say that Espanola Way does look very like the holiday villa style you get in Spain.
5th May 2008

No, no paddling or wave jumping. I'm a bit afraid of the water (there are sharks out there!), but the sand is certainly wonderful for walking/running on. Hee hee...yes, that margarita was yummy (and more expensive than my food!)
5th May 2008

It felt very Spanish to me, which is funny since I've never been to Spain! hahaha
19th June 2009

I like the beach,the sea...
ed hardy buy ed hardy cheap ed hardy

Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0828s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb