Key Largo


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Largo
March 6th 2018
Published: March 8th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Departed our Marine Stadium anchorage at about 8:30am. We had been hoping to do a little sailing across the major part of Biscayne Bay, however, the wind, again, was not going to cooperate. The day started with flat calm all the way across the bay. You can see how flat it was when we left anchorage. As we got closer to the southern side of the bay, the breeze started to pick up. By the time we entered Card Sound, the wind was about 10 in our face and cool (hence for the pic of me all bundled up).

Started the day in my bathing suit on the deck (with the autopilot at the helm) watching the bottom of Biscayne Bay through flat calm water. As the day progressed, I put on a long-sleeved shirt, my coat, my hat and long pants! Finally, though, water we can see through! Saw a school of small sharks as we passed through the Featherbed Bank. They were obviously feeding through that little channel and across the flats.

We continued motoring through the Sounds and into Tarpon Basin, arriving around 3:00pm.

We dropped the dinghy in the water yesterday (Wednesday) and walked to K-Mart and Publix. Later in the evening, as the wind and rain moved in, the Basin filled with smoke. The area is pretty large and with the wind blowing from the opposite direction of the sirens, we were a little confused about the location of the blaze. We're still not sure exactly what happened, but we heard sirens for quite a while.

We will probably end up renting a car one day early next week to make one final provisioning run, do laundry and pick up mail. Hopefully, by next weekend, the weather will moderate enough for us to head to the Bahamas. We plan on doing a little bit of sailing (hopefully) back up to Pumpkin Key before we head out to the Bahamas. More to follow.

The panorama shot was taken from the back of the boat looking over our solar panels out into Biscayne Bay.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The boat in Card SoundThe boat in Card Sound
The boat in Card Sound

The map shows our location in Card Sound. :-)


8th March 2018

Key Largo
LOL - your nose looks a little red from the cold. I'll have to look up Pumpkin Key, never heard of that. Well it sure looks like your having a grand time! That is awesome :-)

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb