Goodbye to Boot Key Harbor


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Keys
March 22nd 2011
Published: March 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sunset 1Sunset 1Sunset 1

going,
A week since my last posting…I hope to do better now that we are underway again.

The past week was pretty much more of the same as the previous weeks. Softball on Thursday, but this time followed by a party at Eddie’s house. Eddie is our resident softball grouch, always complaining over calls and changing rules mid-game. However, off the field he’s a totally different person, and his wife was charming. And, of course, Thursday is wing night at the Hurricane Grille. We couldn’t miss that.

The weekend was busy with last minute shopping trips and repairs, getting ready for leaving. The weather is warming up, the winds are shifting, and boats are heading out.

Sara and Trevor got back on Wednesday from Bahia Honda, and are all psyched up about heading to the Bahamas. They left yesterday and fought a headwind all day, not making near the progress they hoped. But today was better, they went outside (the ocean side of the keys) and had favorable winds. They got as far as Carysfort Reef, where they are tied up to a mooring ball in preparation for crossing to Bimini tomorrow.

We left Boot Key Harbor this
sunset 2sunset 2sunset 2

going,
morning, after spending 80 nights tied to a mooring ball there. It was secure and comfortable and people were very friendly. We made new friends that we hope to stay in touch with. It was a great experience, and if it wasn’t so rough crossing the Gulf of Mexico, we would winter there again.

So we left Boot Key, went down to Moser Pass, crossed under the Seven Mile Bridge into Florida Bay, and headed up the ICW. We got as far as Shell Key, which is at ICW mile 1162 (Moser Pass is at mile 1197.) Shell Key is state owned and has a few mooring balls that are available free of charge for up to 5 days. Tomorrow we’ll probably get to Card Sound, then Miami on Friday.

Tonight we saw the sun set over the water, the first time this trip to have an unimpeded view. Thought I’d share some of the pictures with you.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

sunset 3sunset 3
sunset 3

going,
sunset 5sunset 5
sunset 5

going,


24th March 2011

Happy sailing. Hope you enjoy your time in Miami. We'll be praying for safe travels for all of you.
24th March 2011

Gorgeous sunset!!!!!!!!!! Be safe and see ya soon???????????????????????????????????

Tot: 0.319s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 69; dbt: 0.2002s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb