From the Southernmost Point in the US to Snorkeling in Key Largo


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Keys
April 16th 2010
Published: February 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Underwater Exploring 17 secs
La te da!La te da!La te da!

On our early morning walk towards the Southernmost Point for sunrise...
Remember the roosters? Yes, they woke us up again…extremely early. But I guess we had planned to get up for sunrise anyways… We got ready and took off on a long walk toward the southernmost point on the island. The streets were quiet except for the occasional rooster calls (we actually saw several roosters perched in trees). Unfortunately there wasn’t much of a sunrise that morning because of all the clouds on the horizon, so we made a stop at the southernmost point marker (http://southernmostpointusa.com) and then on to breakfast at the Cuban Coffee Queen (http://www.cubancoffeequeen.net/ccq). The Cuban Coffee Queen can be found at the corner of Margaret and Caroline. Don’t plan on eating in as it is a walk-up place, but with the nice weather, it’s easy to find a place to enjoy their coffee and food. We headed back to the hotel to eat our breakfast and enjoy another key lime pie from the Blond Giraffe.

We checked out of the Galleon and headed north to Key Largo to go snorkeling. We had made reservations with Captain Slate’s (http://captainslate.com), which is one of several choices of business that will take you out to John Pennekamp Coral Reef State
Before SunriseBefore SunriseBefore Sunrise

Almost to our destination, Matt captured this photo just before the sun started to come up.
Park (http://www.pennekamppark.com). Overall, our experience with them was good, so you may want to check them out if you’re down that way. Discounts are available on their web site. NOTE: If you have your heart set on seeing the Christ of the Abyss reef (http://captainslate.com/dive_sites.html), like Matt did, try to book a morning trip and hope for perfect weather conditions. Unfortunately, this location is still on our “to do” list and you’ll have to check Captain Slate’s site for photos of the Christ statute… However, Matt did get a lot of other underwater photos, as you can see, and he spent as much time as possible in the ocean. I, on the other hand, had trouble with my mask fogging up and swallowed what seemed to be a gallon of saltwater, so I spent the majority of my time on the boat being seasick.

When we got back from snorkeling, we were ready to eat, and the staff at Captain Slate’s recommended the restaurant, Gilbert’s (http://gilbertsresort.com/dining.html). We enjoyed their salad bar and “all you can eat” fish dinner. Couldn’t pass up the chance to try their key lime pie either but was a little disappointed that it wasn’t as
TranquilityTranquilityTranquility

Although the clouds on the horizon kept us from seeing much of a sunrise, it was worth getting up early to experience the quiet and peacefulness before the rest of the island awoke.
good as the Blond Giraffe’s. After dinner, we were able to catch the sunset at a little Tiki hut a few yards away, and when night fell, we headed back to my sister’s in Aventura.



Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

90 Miles to Cuba90 Miles to Cuba
90 Miles to Cuba

This marks the Southernmost Point of the Continental US.
Rooster IIRooster II
Rooster II

It's not often that you see two roosters just "hanging out" like this as you walk through town. We saw several on our morning walk.
The Cuban Coffee QueenThe Cuban Coffee Queen
The Cuban Coffee Queen

Finally, time for breakfast!
Take A PeekTake A Peek
Take A Peek

This face was found on a fence on a Key West street. Looking through the eyes, we were able to get a glimpse "behind the scene."
General MotorsGeneral Motors
General Motors

Photo taken as we were waiting on our breakfast at the Cuban Coffee Queen.
Key Largo BluesKey Largo Blues
Key Largo Blues

It was a beautiful day and the water in Key Largo was a striking turquoise as we headed out to snorkel.
Captain Slate's IICaptain Slate's II
Captain Slate's II

View of our boat from the water.


Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0759s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb