Down to the Keys


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Keys
April 14th 2010
Published: November 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Key Largo IKey Largo IKey Largo I

Beautiful view of Key Largo waters.
On this date we made the long drive down to Key West. We stopped at a couple photo places along the way in search of some kind of adapter (can you tell I’m not the photographer?) and a waterproof camera for our upcoming snorkeling trip. After going to both World Wide Foto and Pitman Photo (www.worldwidefoto.com and www.pitmanphotosupply.com), we found what we were looking for and were on our way to the Keys.

When we made it to Key Largo, we stopped to eat at Mrs. Mac’s Kitchen (www.mrsmacskitchen.com). I ordered alligator tenders and sweet potato fries. For those of you that haven’t eaten alligator, I don’t recommend you try it for the first time there (I’ve had better), but they are supposed to be well known for their yummy key lime pie…

After what seemed like a very long drive and after going over the seven mile bridge (http://www.frommers.com/destinations/upperandmiddlekeys/A24751.html), we arrived in Key West at about 6:00 pm. We located our hotel, the Galleon Resort (www.galleonresort.com). We were actually able to find pretty good rates by going through www.vacationrentals.com. If you’re interested in staying in a condo, cabin, or vacation home, I highly recommend checking out this site.
Key Largo IIKey Largo IIKey Largo II

More beauty.
The Galleon was located within walking distance of the “old town,” so we parked and headed towards Mallory Square for sunset. On the way, we grabbed a coffee and key lime pie at the Blond Giraffe (www.blondgiraffe.com) - make sure to stop there if you’re ever in Key West! Once we were at Mallory Square, we watched several street performances and then headed back to our room after the sun set - but not until Matt took several more photos of the local scene...



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Mrs. Mac'sMrs. Mac's
Mrs. Mac's

Lunch time in Key Largo.
AirplaneAirplane
Airplane

Mrs. Mac's decor.
The Palms and  a HutThe Palms and  a Hut
The Palms and a Hut

Photo taken on the drive to Key West - a little off the beaten path.
The GalleonThe Galleon
The Galleon

This is the resort we stayed in while visiting Key West. It is located by the ocean within walking distance of the "old town."
Arrival in Key WestArrival in Key West
Arrival in Key West

A pic of me shortly after we got to our hotel.
A & B Lobster HouseA & B Lobster House
A & B Lobster House

Key West dining opportunity...
Tables and ChairsTables and Chairs
Tables and Chairs

Many restaurants have outdoor seating in Key West. Here is just one of the many we passed on our walk to Mallory Square.
They Call Me RedThey Call Me Red
They Call Me Red

For the right price, you can have your photo taken with this pretty bird on the streets of Key West.
The Blond GiraffeThe Blond Giraffe
The Blond Giraffe

Stop here for yummy key lime pie!
Mallory SquareMallory Square
Mallory Square

This is the place to be in Key West when the sun sets.
Take a Picture, Leave a TipTake a Picture, Leave a Tip
Take a Picture, Leave a Tip

What an easy way to make a little money...
Money CollectorMoney Collector
Money Collector

This man played music while his dog went around collecting money in his mouth and putting it in a bucket. This was a big hit with the crowd.
NightfallNightfall
Nightfall

Ocean view from Mallory Square.
The JugglerThe Juggler
The Juggler

One of the many street performances in Mallory Square that night.


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb