Settling in for a while


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Keys » Marathon
April 9th 2018
Published: August 25th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Hello to all my travel-following friends. Sorry for the lengthy delay of posting. The last posting indicated we were staging for the Bahamas. Unfortunately, the weather did not seem like it was conducive for us to head there. The forecast indicated there were more northerly fronts coming down and we did not want to be hopping around trying to find a safe anchorage. We continued to stay in Key Largo and move around there until the weather settled a little more. Once that happened, we headed south (then west into the Keys), which is where we have decided to stay for a little while.



Life has been good and relaxing. We are getting more and more comfortable aboard the boat. Sailing is a bit different on this boat because she travels much faster and sails much better than our other two cats. We are currently tied to a mooring ball in Boot Key Harbor in Marathon. This will be our location for, at least, a month. It's a very nice place with showers, laundry facilities, WiFi and stores within walking distance. There is a nice boating community here and they cater nicely to this lifestyle. We find our days are filled with reading, messing about on the computer and a few projects here and there.



We have had our share of experiences so far. Thankfully none of them too major (typical boating issues). Having our anchor break free in the middle of the night with winds in excess of 20 mph is never fun; Gene still having to make sure he bleeds by injuring himself (?) with the help of a very heavy anchor; and minor boat rework issues; have been keeping us busy.



The weather finally appears to be moderating somewhat. As with everyone else (ours not as bad as others), we have had some cooler than usual weather. In the boating world, that brings strong northerly winds, and sometimes a little rain. We have had very little rain so far, but are expected to get a little more in the coming days. The boat got a little washing just the other night here in Boot Key.



I have posted a few pictures, some that have been posted on my FB page, so there will be duplicates for some of you. I'll post more when there is something to post. :-)



Enjoy.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb