Nature and nachos


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Keys » Key West
November 11th 2014
Published: November 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

After a good nights sleep, woke to the sound of the old trolley cars full of early bird tourists on the street outside. Went to the pool deck for breakfast of muffins and coffee, it was a lovely warm sunny day.

Our last day with the mustang so decided to make good use of her and go for spin back up highway one for a while. Checked out the beach areas first and found a spot to return to later in the day.

Drove up as far as Big Pine key and popped into the wildlife centre. The area is famous for key deer which are an endangered species and many are killed on the highway each year. Got some good tips for where to see some wildlife and headed off the main highway.

First stop was a small watering hole where we saw jumping fish, vultures and an alligator. We drove into a more residential area and saw loads of deer including a small group, of youngsters nibbling on a lawn, they were very curious and came right up to the car, very sweet.

Had takeway lunch by the marina near one of the motels we stopped at en-route last year and Alex went off to photograph some more wildlife in the form of pelicans, vultures and two massive iguanas.

Drove back to Key West mid afternoon and had 45 minutes on the beach as we wanted to see the veterans parade on the main street. Veterans day is a big day in the US andistheir equivalent of remebrance day but with more shows, parades and less of a solemn feel but equally respectful.

Made it just in time for the lastnpart of the parade which was a real spectacle, hundreds of armed forces related personnel, school children, older veterans, politicians, cheerleaders, old cars, buses, fire trucks, even dogs taking part to honour the veterans. Hundreds of people lined the streets waving flags, cheering and clapping.

Back to the hotel to chill for a while before showering and getting ready to hit the town. Duval, the main street was crazy busy due to the holiday and sailors in uniforms were everywhere, not a seat to be found in most of the bars so decided to go back to Margeritaville for a cocktail. We hadn't planned to eat there but kept seeing the 'nacho volcano' dish being brought out so that was too tempting. Basically a huge dish piled with nachos, layered with chilli, beans, sour cream and guacamole, definitely a sharing dish, we struggled to demolish the lot but had a good try!

On the way back to the hotel we stopped an watched a naval 'irish' band from the earlier parade, obviously the worse for a few beers taking over a bar playing bagpipes and drums before marching off down the street followed by a cop car honking his horn telling them to get out of the middle of the road!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.315s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb