Turning Back South


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Jacksonville
April 23rd 2011
Published: April 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

SunsetSunsetSunset

over downtown Jacksonville
First let me say: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JENNA! We love you.

We’ve spent the last five days in Jacksonville; two at Ortega Yacht Club Marina and 3 at the municipal docks next to the Jaguars’ stadium, which is called EverBank Field (Gator Bowl.) The municipal docks are free (except during events,) we just pay for electricity. It’s pretty nice, but a long way from any stores, and there is a heck of a current going past and through. There’s a lot of water going in and out of the St. Johns River here. We get rocked a lot from the wakes of passing boats. Today we were entertained by the local marine law enforcement stopping boats and writing citations for speeding in a no wake zone. The Fire & Rescue boats and the Sheriff’s boats are kept at the municipal docks, too. Their boats going in and out create as much wakes as the passing boaters.

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT:

In the words of our dear friend, Claudia, “This has gone on long enough. It’s time to go home.” Tomorrow we begin to mosey on towards home. We talked it over and decided we don’t want to continue on the Great
Fishing at JacksonvilleFishing at JacksonvilleFishing at Jacksonville

it's a long stretch down to the water
Loop. The big waters scared us and we are ready to get back to our family. We expect to be home around the end of June, which will be a trip of almost 8 months. We are just not meant to be away that long. It’s been fun, wouldn’t trade the experience for anything, but that’s enough.

We plan to be in Titusville next Thursday and Friday, hopefully the space shuttle will go up as scheduled on Friday. If not, we’ll just miss it. We are heading for the Okeechobee waterway west to Ft. Myers Beach, then north from there until we again cross the Gulf of Mexico. Then on to Mobile and the Tombigbee to the Tennessee to home. We’ll keep on posting to our blog, as we’re still seeing new things.

Y’all come on back with us.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Downtown JacksonvilleDowntown Jacksonville
Downtown Jacksonville

bridges all lit up
Gator BowlGator Bowl
Gator Bowl

EverBank Field, home to the Jacksonville Jaguars


24th April 2011

Yellow ribbons
Glad to see you are coming back! It's always nice to travel in pairs and what with Sara and Trevor going on, that leaves a void both for company and safety(in my opinion)....even though you are experienced sailors and have outgoing personalities that make friends easily. I know you will see new, neat things and will meet great people...maybe re-meet some that you saw on the way out. I am enjoying your travel blog so much and am glad you will continue it..... when you get home you will have to blog even going to the grocery store ... to feed my blog addiction!
24th April 2011

Happy Easter
Happy Easter to you both! My what an adventure you have been on. Sleeping in your own bed, though, must be a nice thought. Enjoy the rest of your travels.
24th April 2011

Return Trip
Hey guys! Sure hope you'll stop somewhere near us on the way back. Would love to see you. We are NOT planning on going anywhere this summer! Bob
27th April 2011

Homeward bound
Glad to know you decided not to go the great loop! I was concerned about those waters of New England and up. Enjoy your way back and keep blogging. I have enjoyed them. I entered a new email address. Hope that would help in receiving notice. Let me know if it is viewable to you . If not I will email you and you can change it in your notices.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb